Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Learning C++

• Please log in to reply

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I am about to start college and one of my first classes is a general programming class which focuses on C++. I have done some Visual Basic programming how much more difficult is it than it? Also what do you think the learning curve would be for someone to get decent?

Advertisements

duckie

duckie

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did some VB in highschool too (VERY elementary drag and drop) and had to learn java then c++ in univ. I have to say you need a completely different mindset when dealing with c++. You'll get to see a lot of what's really going on with the memory when you declare something.. and how hard it is to create a button when you've taken it for granted in VB. (however, I don't think you'll get to any graphical stuff soon)

I'd say if you have a good prof, it can be very fun and enlightening. On the other hand, a bad prof can ruin it all for you.

inoxx.net

inoxx.net

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
if you use MFC, it can be similar to VB, (MSVC 6.0).

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
well, i leanred C/C++ from the worst ever tutor...it can be ahrd to start with but once you know C, every other programming language looks exactly thes same and learning any type of programming just becomes the same with different syntax.

with C/C++ you will become amazed at how everything suddenly makes sense as soon as you get to grips with the basic usage of the language.