Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ECS k7s5a Pro - Sata support

• Please log in to reply

khubo

khubo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have the following problem. I am trying to use a Sata (WD 250GB) as my boot drive. I have worked through the "press F6" solutions that are posted everywhere and that worked great. My problem is that I am using an ECS K7s5a Pro motherboard with a Sata controller and as such do not know what boot settings to use in my BIOS to get the Sata controller recognized as the primary boot device. I know that it is none of the USB ore IDE options and I have tried the SCSI option, to no avail. I do have BBS options but I don't know what those are so I have been hesitatnt o use them.

Am I screwed, am I missing an option in my bios or will a simple bios upgrade solve my problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You motherboard manual should tell you how to do this. If you don't have the manual, go to the motherboard manufacturer's web page and download one. You could also check for a bios update there.

Here is a good link for information on SATA
http://www.omnicast....build/SATA.html
Maybe this tutorial will help.

khubo

khubo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have read the manual a few times and no where in there does it talk about support for Sata. I was hoping that someone has experience with this board and could point me in the direction of a bios upgrade that would allow a Sata device to become the boot device.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A bios upgrade is easy to find yourself just get the latest one. Go to boot priorities in the bios and set the drive you want as a boot device.