Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP freezes

• Please log in to reply

_Radek_

_Radek_

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have just built my system of: -
MSi Neo4 nForce4 Ultra Platinum MOBO
Althon64 3700
Maxtor 120Gb SATA HDD
2x 512kb Corsair RAM (so 1Gb in total)
Sapphire Radeon X700 256Mb GFX
MSI DVD-ROM
Sony DVD+/-RW
I installed windows XP with SP2 (pressing F6 to install the SATA drivers) and windows loaded fine. However whenever I install a driver (for GFX card or any of the onboard things), on restart XP will freeze with the scroll bar stopped on the boot screen. I have tryed installing the drivers one at a time and it happens with all of them, and i have even tryed the up-to-date drivers off the internet and the same thing happens. Please, Please, Please could you help me?
Many thanks

Advertisements

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
IS this the first rig that you have built?

this is a very generalized problem and there are a million differents things that may be causing windows to stop on startup.

do you have any usb devices connected to your computer? some of the newer motherboards for some odd reason, automatically change boot sequence to the usb device as the primary when connected.

double check all pin settings; on the motherboard; and on your optical drives. make sure your primary optical drives are set to master and your secondarys are set to slave.

it seems as if your windows is having trouble initializing drivers. the most common one for me is GRAPHICS. and the second is USB_device related.

so yes. double check everything and make sure you installed and built your computer correctly. and then let us know how it goes

_Radek_

_Radek_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I don't have any USB devices connected, and all my pins are correct, i've looked at the motherboard manual, and everything seems to be fine. This is the first system i have built but my bro helped me and he has built some before.
I fuond this: http://www.pcclub.co...&threadid=16330 which seems to be a simalar problem, only he has 2 SATA drives where as i only have 1. this is really confusing me!