Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User account log-on problem

• Please log in to reply

eileenput

eileenput

• Pip
  • 1 posts
On startup when my computer gets to the Welcome screen, I click my user account, it says "loading your personal settings" and then logs me off. This happens no matter what user account I try to log on as. Same deal if I start in Safe Mode.

Now what?

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
When the Welcome Screen appears, you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice and input the Administrator account/password and then login.
When u do, create a new account for your-self.
Logoff Administrator.
Try to login with ur new account.

gibbocool

gibbocool

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, im having the exact same problem, and i tried logging into the administrator, and the same thing happens. I click on the user, it says logging in, the desktop appears for a split second, then logs out. I had just done virus and adware scans, and i found 3 viruses..and i also disabled a lot of stuff in the startup of msconfig. maybe i ended something critical.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
gibbocool,
There is special Microsoft fix for this problem, refer:
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=313322
It says that you need to contact M$-techsupport and they will send you the special fix.

If and only if, the fix sent by M$ does'nt get the job done, goto the next steps.
Follow the steps below:
  • In your BIOS set CD-ROM has 1st Boot Device.
  • Insert XP Setup CD, to boot from CD.
  • After the intial loading of drivers is over, on the Welcome to Setup Screen with 3 options; Press R key, to "Repair XP installtion using Recovery Console".
  • On the next screen you will be asked to choose your Windows installtion, choose the one that is causing the problem by typing the number beside it.
  • Now you will be prompted for the password of Administrator, enter it; If password is blank, just press <enter>.
  • Below are two ways to recover from this problem from the Recovery Console, use any one of them.
    Use Method1 only if u downloaded and installed SP2.
    Use Method2 if u have installed SP2 from CD and u have the CD; or if u have'nt installed SP2 at all.
    • Method1:
      Type the following commands:
      cd \WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
      copy userinit.exe c:\Windows\System32
    • Method2:
      Type the following command:
      expand x:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32\userinit.
      (where x: the drive-letter of ur CD-ROM drive and c: is the partition where XP was installed)
  • Reboot PC and boot into safe-mode (Press F8 before booting).
  • In safe-mode, Start-> Run.
    Type: regedit
    Press <enter>
  • In regedit, goto: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
    In the right-pane, check if the value of the userinit variable is C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    If not, change it to that.
  • Reboot PC normally.

Edited by darth_ash, 20 September 2005 - 10:38 AM.