Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error in your CONFIG.SYS on line 5

• Please log in to reply

liz74

liz74

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
hi guys.
when i start my computer i get a message saying"There is a error in your CONFIG.SYS on line 5, does anyone know how to fix this?
also i cant get norton to enable auto protect,i have reinstalled it a couple of times but still wont enable. does this have anything to do with that error on line 5?
of course any help will be greatly appreciated <_<

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Open "Notepad" and click "File" at the top left of the screen and click "Open" browse to 'c:\config.sys' and open it. Copy and paste the contents of the file back here for analysis. Also have you installed any new hardware lately, or made any changes to your pc or maybe even installed new software? Any details will help alot.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

liz74

liz74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
okay,i recently swaped my samsung cdr/rw drive for a sony dvdr/rw. i believe thats when i started to get the error messages.anyway heres that thing you asked for
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe

DEVICE=C:\SAMSUNG\SSCDROM.SYS /D:SSCD000 /v
i hope this helps <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Does your sony cd rom work fine now? If so you can remove the samsung line from the config.sys file and save the file without it. This will remove the error, but I don't believe that it has to do with Norton AutoProtect. I'll find out some info on that, in the meantime just remove this line:
DEVICE=C:\SAMSUNG\SSCDROM.SYS /D:SSCD000 /v

Try autoprotect after that, but I don't think it's gonna help that.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Check here for info on noton Problem !<_<
http://www.pcuser.co...A256EA40020EB1F

liz74

liz74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
thanx jonnyrotten and my2cents,
i will try everything tomorrow as i am converting a movie and dont want to restart the computer and have to wait another 20 hours for the movie
CHEERS <_<

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

thanx jonnyrotten and my2cents,
i will try everything tomorrow as i am converting a movie and dont want to restart the computer and have to wait another 20 hours for the movie
                              CHEERS <_<

View Post

20 hrs ,you need to get DVDSanta does it in about 2-2 1/2 hrs

liz74

liz74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
thanx guys,
i removed the samsung line and all is well however the norton thing didnt, i think ill get something else and with the dvdsanta, i only have 64mb so i dont think it works, never mind im a patient girl. once again thanx <_<