Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM T20 Won't shutdown

• Please log in to reply

barbeboo

barbeboo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please someone help me. I just turned on a new (used) laptop I purchased. It shows only the IBM log and a message that says "Entering IBM BIOS setup utility" and I can't do anything. I can't even turn the system off with the power button. ALT/CTL/Delete doesn't work either so I have no way to reboot or turn off the system physically. It is an IBM T20 and was supposed to have ME on it.

I'm desperate. What can I do to turn it off?????? What is wrong with it?????

Maggie

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Off hand it sounds like someone removed the operating system, usually done to protect private information. Did the seller give you the installation disk? You can go to

www.allbootdisks.com

and make a boot floppy for ME or win98SE, the latter might be more usefull, and use it to start the computer, or make one on another computer. Use it, when the prompt comes up put in

C: and hit enter, then dir /p, and hit enter it will tell you what is in volume C:

The drive letter may be changed, the boot disk page will give you an idea of the right drive letter.

barbeboo

barbeboo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice.