Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems upgrading to XP

• Please log in to reply

tstackpi

tstackpi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The problem I am having is with my girlfriends old HP Omnibook 6000. The laptop crashed before I met her (couldn't even get into safe mode), she lost her resource CD, and of course I told her I could fix it (ha...help). Her computer came without a floppy drive so I removed her HD and placed it into my older Gateway model to write zeros to it (w/GWSCAN). That being done, I swapped the HD back into her system, changed the boot order, and installed an XP disk into her CD tray. When I rebooted her system I received the message "Operating System not found".

Confused, i switched the blank HD into my old gateway that is currently running XP (known working BIOS). Amazingly i get the exact same problem. This time however, i noticed the error "PXE-e61: Media test failure check cable". I switched the HD back into the HP and received the same. To make sure that the HD was functioning properly, i ran GWSCAN again to check the HD for errors; full test, 30 min., no problems.

I have done a little research on PXE-e61 and have tried all the fixes that were available. Unfortunatly for both BIOS', i have no option of disabling a network boot. The best that i could do was to put that option last.

I am mainly stumped due to the fact that the boot order is first to boot from the CD/DVD drive, and then to the HD...what am I missing?

thanks to anyone that has ANY input here, this is extremely frustrating

Side note: both BIOS' recognize the HD. Also tried putting in working Gateway XP HD into HP and got only a blinking curser...stumped!!!

Edited by tstackpi, 30 July 2005 - 01:11 AM.

Advertisements

tstackpi

tstackpi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
bump