Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files appearing in Temp File - Should I worry?

• Please log in to reply

cheeser66

cheeser66

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need to know if files that are appearing in my Windows/Temp file are spyware or not. They start with perflib_perfdata_XXX.dat. The x's can be a combination of numbers and letters. A new version of the file appears everytime I boot up the computer, and whichever is the newest one, it can't be deleted. While attempting to delete the file, I get an error message saying that Windows is using the file and that to delete it, I have to close some programs. I don't remember these files being here before. I went on Google and did a search on the file above, and I came up with a whole list of files that connected to a website, www.Chinakyl.com. I could not read it since everything is in Chinese. By the way, I started the computer in safe mode one day last week, and then I was able to delete the perfdata file, but when I restarted the computer, my display had changed (it became Windows XP modified) and another version of the file appeared again. And one more problem...every so often, I get the dialog box in the middle of the screen prompting me to connect to the internet, even though I have not initiated it. It happens when I boot up sometimes and sometimes, when the computer is idle. Is this spyware or is it nothing to worry about? I ran Microsoft's anti-spyware program, Spy-Bot, and even Norton Anti-Virus 2005, but none of them caught or suspected anything. I tried to contact Microsoft for support but it seemed to me the tech I was working with didn't know what I was talking about. I had the problem with the internet prompting before, only it was much worse than now, and I had no choice but to reinstall windows to get rid of whatever was on the hard drive. Can you help? :tazz:

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Various programs can create those including Motherboard Monitor, PGPServer and Windows Monitoring features.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
perflib and perfdata are performance data files. One of your applications must be monitoring system performance.