Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help...

• Please log in to reply

Rilynn

Rilynn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey...this website seems to be extremely helpful for people so I thought I would give it a shot....

I am at a loss here. I have a HP desktop Windows XP (SP2). I have Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz Processor, 80G hard drive, 1G RAM.

My CPU usage spikes up (and stays up) at 100% whenever I load up any internet game...like Wolfenstein. I downloaded this program called "SpeedFan" which monitors the temp of your Computer. My processor reaches up to 52 Degrees Celcius and a little "FIRE" Icon appears next to the temperature. My computer will randomly crash (BSOD) and give me the message "BAD_POOL_CALLER", and "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I suppose these crashes are due to the 100% CPU usage and overheating? I have also realized no matter how many times I try....I cannot complete a full system scan with Norton Antvirus. It will either say at the end of the scan..."Norton could not fully scan your computer due to a serous error that has occured...or simply crash again....

Please help!
Rilynn

Edited by Rilynn, 30 July 2005 - 10:43 PM.

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
1. Your CPU temperature is not too high, uninstall that program.
2. It is quite common to have 100% CPU usage during gaming.

However the crashing is not normal, nor the fact that Norton cannot finish a scan.

Rilynn

Rilynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey thanks for the advise...I believe I may have a faulty memory stick...the brand is Mushkin. Is anybody else having trouble with this brand or did I just get unlucky?

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
If the memory test failed then you have defective RAM. To be sure clean your computer of any dust and try reseating the memory, if it is still bad, replace it.

Mushkin is a good brand. There are no perfect components anything can go bad. The better brands are just less likely to have problems. Either way I would never buy cheap or OEM brand RMA. Other things can contribute to memory failure such as mishandling ect...

Good Memory Manufacturers:

Crucial
Corsair
Kingston
Mushkin