Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All files renamed .lnk

• Please log in to reply

olsong

olsong

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help! Our WIndows 98 computer had lots of spyware when we booted it up tonight. I removed a couple programs using the "Add/Remove Software" function in Control Panel. When I removed "SideFind", every single file (exe, doc, xls, everything) was either renamed .lnk or had that extension added to the end of the file name. All but a couple of the icons on the desktop turned to the default windows icon. No program will run. I can't use explorer to find out what's in the folders. It's suddenly totally unusable! What happened and how can I reverse it?

Advertisements

diggadee

diggadee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem, except it happened without me deleting any programs. A few things will still work, if I go to them using the "Run" function or if I enter them through the "Safe mode, with command prompt" (I get there by rebooting and holding down F8 during boot.

I ran Windows search and found that 870+ exe and com file extensions have been changed to lnk. Initially, as well, the file association to exe extensions was gone, but I found a fix on line that showed how to go to command prompt and put in two simple dos instructions that brought it back.

I donwloaded Registry Fix and Registry Mechanic and I ran my McAfee and Ad-Aware virus killers and a few others. They're not much help -- basically all those fix-it programs agree I've got a registry problem, but they don't fix it.

So I'm still stuck with most of my programs not running. I called some techies on the phone who told me to wipe out my hard drive and start over, but I've got way too much to lose to do that, even if the alternative takes hours or days...

Somebody, please help!!!

[email protected]

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Olsong

If you have spyware. you should really be posting it in the Malware forum

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Malware can really ruin a computer especially if it isnt removed correctly. :tazz:

Best regards,

EMCguy

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Diggadee

(same message to you as to Olsong)

If you have spyware. you should really be posting it in the Malware forum

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Malware can really ruin a computer especially if it isnt removed correctly. :tazz:

PS Digadee: Try to post your question in a new thread, not in someone elses thread. Otherwise it gets confusing when you start to get replies etc. ;)

Best regards,

EMCguy