Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after a power outage

• Please log in to reply

WayneThornton

WayneThornton

• Pip
  • 8 posts
After a power loss (5-10 minutes), I may or may not be able to boot up. I always get juice to my tower and monitor. However, when I push the boot button, I may get a solid light indicator, no image on monitor, and no beep to indicate initial stage of start up. Conclusion: It seems I am not getting to windows, or dos, or even to the first stage of bios.
Then I spend 5 minutes staring at a solid light indicator, hit restart to no avail, shutdown (in the blind), unplug my electrical outlet, give it time to rest. After about 10 minutes, I plug back in and push the Boot button, sometimes (about 1 out of 3 attempts) it boots up fine and works fine until the next power outage.
If I have abused (it) by pushing the boot button too many times without unplugging it, when I finally do boot successfully, I land up in bios with a message that my processor has hung up. Then I am asked if 1800 megahertz is ok for the processor speed. I say sure; and everything is honkey dorey until the next power outage.
Idea: Would it hurt anything to set my processor speed to 1600 even though it is rated at 1800?
Summary: After a power outage, it is a crap shoot as to whether or not I can boot on my first few attempts. But eventually, so far, I have been able to try, unplug, replug, try, fail, unplug, wait, replug, and get lucky.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
specs will be needed. Try reseting the cmos, push the button, use the jumper or remove the battery for a couple of minutes.

WayneThornton

WayneThornton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Asus motherboard
AMD (four years ago)
XP
512 memory
40G HDD

What is a cmos?
Where is reset button?
Where is battery?

Why would unplugging electricity and then replugging work ocassionally?

Will it hurt to change bios from 1800 megaherts to 1600?

Edited by WayneThornton, 01 August 2005 - 09:22 AM.

WayneThornton

WayneThornton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: would someone please make a guess at answering my above questions.

Thanks,

;)