Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

!Video Cards!

• Please log in to reply

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ok I got a question... I have recently been looking into buying a video card and have suddenly become overwhelmed by all the se, xt, fx, etc........... Then there's 128mb or 256mb and 64 bit or 128 bit... Too much information. I run intel extreme graphics right now (64mb shared system mem) which isn't the best by a loooooooooong shot. It runs everything I have right now though, but my video settings have to be turned down. I am just looking for a decent card for around $150 so I won't have to share my system memory, and I will be able to turn my graphics settings up and still run smoothly. Any suggestions or comments?
System this card will be going in:
Asus p4p800-vm
2.67 Celeron @ 3.3
512 samsung ddr 333mhz : 2.2-3-3-7
(512 corsair ddr 400mhz on the way in the mail)

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'd look for a good deal on Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) on a ATI X700. Right now they're around $200, I'd guess you can find a deal on one around $150. <_<

If you can find a good deal on a 9800Pro that would also be a good choice.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
So I've heard alot about 9800 pro's they must be good. I also read about softmodding your 9800 se to become a 9800 pro and then you can flash it to an XT. Not sure on what the xt is, but I do understand the se to pro change. Would this sound like a good idea to you?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What about this?
http://www.asus.com/...t/overview.htm#

-=jonnyrotten=-

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Some 9800SE can be flashed to a 9800Pro, but not to an XT (not enough physical pipelines).

9600XT is a nice card, but the X700 is the next gen replacement. <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I can't find any x700's that are agp though...

-=jonnyrotten=-

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
They were going to keep it PCI Express, but the lack of mobo's has changed their mind last I heard. I would expect it to be available any day now. I'll do some more checking.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
So the x700 would outdo the 9800pro? So far for ati 9800 se softmodded to a pro is in the lead. Besides maybe this x700 and for nVidia, I still don't have any takers.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What about this?
http://usa.asus.com/...d/overview.htm#

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
nVidia's 6600 is comparable to the X700, and I think it's available now (haven't looked). If you buy a 9800SE, be sure it's somewhere with a good return policy, in case it's not able to soft-mod. Then you can exchange it for another.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
The only problem is that the 6600's are only (as far as I can tell) pci express...
I'm either making this harder than it should be or I just need to keep researching, I've been learning about vc's all day...no work today <_<
Thank you for the help.

-=jonnyrotten=- :D

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Well here's one. There will be many more soon:
http://www.newegg.co...-150-080&depa=0

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Is pci express an new type of physical pci slot, or can you just plug in a pcie video card to your pci slot and you're good to go?

-=jonnyrotten=-

Nevermind, stupid question..... <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Here's some info on the 6600gt.

http://www.theinquir.../?article=19340

So what do you think about the fact that the 9800 has 256bit and the 6600gt has 128bit? The benchmarks still seem to go with the 6600gt agp. I think I'm likin that card and may spend more to get it, it has ddr3 mem too. Mmmmmmmmmmm. <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
So basically it looks like a choice between the 9800 se (softmodded to pro),or the 9800 pro (flashed to xt I hear that is possible with a r360 chip), or the 6600gt agp. Does the 9800 se come with 256 mb mem? I can't find it. I'm hoping on being able to find a cheap 9800 se that will successfully mod to the pro. Unless the 6600 gt comes down in price before christmas I don't know If I'm going to get it......Awww who am I fooling, you know I'm gonna get that. Maybe Ati will release the agp x700xt soon though....waiting. I still have awhile to do this since my asus mobo is in the mail on it's journey back to zipzoomfly to be replaced or fixed, therefore I cannot install the vc since my super highly versatile intel d845 mobo does not have an agp slot. Let the researching continue....<_<