Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse & Keyboard Freeze/Monitor Distorted--Virus?

• Please log in to reply

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
totianni...you can safely delete those lines in HijackThis. :tazz: As far as AVG...it won't hurt anything to uninstall it for now since you can't connect to the internet. However, once the guys DO get you connected...make sure you get an Anti Virus and Firewall going IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner.

Advertisements

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
are you set for obtain dhcp? YES
can you ping apple.com UNKNOWN HOST
What are the latest settings on your nic card: OBTAIN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Thanks, Kat. I'll delete those and uninstall the AVG. I know I need virus and firewall protection, so that will be my first stop as soon as I get back on line. Thanks for checking in. It's been a long day/night. Always interesting! Have a great night. Talk to you soon.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I think Dave (noahdfear) passed out at his keyboard! :tazz: I'll be around for another hour or two yet. I'm the "Night watch" around here. What they are doing with you is mostly above me, but anywhere I can help out, I'll be glad to. :)

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Thanks for checking in Kat. I appreciate your support.

It now a new day/night. Same place. Not sure what else to try. Have cleaned up all that I can and uninstalled AVG.

Anyone have any suggestions????

Edited by totianni, 11 September 2005 - 05:19 PM.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Hi totianni,

You can uncheck the Kodak entries in msconfig until you get the internet working.

Please open a command prompt and type ipconfig then hit enter.
If you have a good set of numbers, type ipconfig /all >C:\config.txt and hit enter. This will send the IP address info for all connected machines to C:\config.txt
If you don't get good numbers with the ipconfig command, connect your son's laptop on your computer's connection and run ipconfig /all >C:\config.txt
Now, back down to the dungeon (sorry) and do an ipconfig /all >C:\config.txt

Now please attach all config.txt files to an email to me here and/or copies to peterm.

Edited by noahdfear, 11 September 2005 - 09:50 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Noahdfear
KB891711 is a bug infested hotfix that was replaced by Microsoft
with a new fix - same number. I wonder if we should get rid of this then update it later?
Cheers
Peterm

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I unchecked Kodak in msconfig.

I still cannot connect to the internet.

I ran all the ipconfig's and sent them to you, Dave. I'm waiting for an email to forward to Peter. My IP address changed from what it has been. Have no idea why. As far as I know, nothing here has physically changed.

Also, I ran Adaware last night. Don't even know why because I was only on the net for a short time since the reinstall. However, it came up with Alexa in my registry. I don't know if this has any bearing on anything. Just thought I should mention it.

Thanks for all your help.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Hi totianni,

I recieved the email.....thanks. Please ping 192.168.0.4 and 192.168.0.2 and let us know what you get. (provided dad and son's computers haven't been shut down since running ipconfig on them.........if so, run it again to see if addys are the same)

I would also like for you to see if you can connect to the router. Put the following address into IE and see if you get a login prompt.

http://192.168.0.1

Alexa was installed along with Internet Explorer 6. Thank MS for that. :tazz:

KB891711 was problematic for many before it's updated release, but I don't remember there being any connection issues with it. I haven't looked back through this topic to see if it was re-installed after the recent OS re-installation either. If it was, it shouldn't pose any problems, but not ruling that out.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I ping'ed the addresses and got 4 replies from .2, but I am using the same jack for my son's and my computer, so I got a time out for his. I can also ping the router, but still get Page Cannot be Found and/or Internet Explorer could not open the search page. I get the same message with it connected and not connected. I wonder if it can be my IE.

Thanks MS for Alexa. Can you tell me what that does? I couldn't find anything on it this afternoon and ran out of time looking.

I also ran the Micro World Anti Virus today. I have a log of "errors" and other stuff. Missing files in registry, etc. Should I post it?

Thank so much.

Advertisements

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Alexa

Did you paste the address above into IE's address window and click go? Do you get a login prompt? Can you logon to the router?

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Cannot get a logon from my computer. Yes. Typed address in address window in IE, but got "The page cannot be displayed." Seemed like it came up really quickly. Like it wasn't even trying to look for it. When I type a www.address.com in the window, I get "IE cannot open the search page."

Do you want me to logon from my son's? I thought the point was to see if my computer could connect. I can ping the router from my computer, but get no where in IE.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Would you please do an ipconfig on yours, note the address and ping it from 'the dungeon' (sorry). While you're there, see if you can log onto the router.

http://192.168.0.1

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Pinging 192.168.0.5 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.5:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Yes, I can logon to router from dungeon.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Quick review here.........

You can ping your machine from dungeon.
You can logon to the router from the dungeon.
You can access the internet from the dungeon.

You can ping the dungeon from your machine.
You cannot logon to the router from your machine.
You cannot access the internet from your machine.

Using your machines connection with son's computer;

You can ping the dungeon.
You can access the internet.
You can access the router.

All correct?