Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse & Keyboard Freeze/Monitor Distorted--Virus?

• Please log in to reply

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I'm heading out for a bit, but have clipped down my enter key when my <fix it> option came up . . . it's still 'fixing problem ....' but hopefully will have made much more progress when I return. Will let you know . . .

Advertisements

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Well, I'll be, my ingenious friend . . . I've just come back to find the progression to 3735 / 96 bad. I might actually accomplish something now . . . Here's one for you :tazz:

Whoooo hoo . . . 97 now . . . Only been about an hour or so, but at least it's now moving . . .

By the way, a hair clip does wonders in holding down that enter key :)

Edited by totianni, 27 November 2005 - 03:13 PM.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Looks like every cluster is bad since I clipped my enter key. It's up to 106 bad out of the 3745 examined and has been running since my last post at 1:21 and it's now 4:13. Fixing problem seems to take a really long time . . . It may still be next week before I can get back on it and try to finish backing up the data.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I had to use that trick before took me forever
in the end a 20gig hard drive came up at about 5gig the rest wer bad clusters
hope pics are still ok

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
How long did it take you to run it through the 20 gig hard drive . . . that's what this one is and I'm only on the 3rd sector. It's been running since 1pm yesterday, it's now 10:30 pm today and it's only examined not even another 200 clusters with a total of 202 found bad. The first 9 blocks are all indicated with bad clusters and I've only made it through the first 3 in what maybe 57+hours now. Is it worth all this time, or should I just exit it and try recovery again? Do I have a better chance of recovery after running the surface scan?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
5 or 6 hours
you are now between the devil and the deep blue sea

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
So, does that mean it's time?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I would
Or take a vote with some of the others

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
*plays a sad song on a trumpet for totianni's valiant machine*...this system is (as ScHwErVe would say) boarked....I'm so glad you guys tried so hard...but....it's dieing....but...that's just my view...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What might help if you pull the plug is go straight to dos and try to move the files

Advertisements

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Couldn't locate the directory in Windows or DOS, so I couldn't get the pictures . . . don't know if scandisk moved it, fixed it or it just didn't survive the scan.

I'm now trying to get the 98 hard drive up and connected. So far, this is where I stand:

I found the ISP disk, but when it started, it said I had to change my display to 800x600, which I couldn't do because I only had 16 colors and no options.

I tried to reinstall the Dell monitor disk, but that didn't allow me to change the options either. So, I found the driver files I'd downloaded to my ME drive and installed the Trident drivers and that worked. Now I have my display working.

Trying to install from ISP disk now . . .

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: F:\Bin\CDLAUNCH\EXTRAS\VOLANIM.EXE
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
>OK<"

"Question
We could not find a supported version of Internet Explorer on your computer. If you wish to continue you much first install a newer version of Internet Explorer.
Do you wish to install Internet Explorer now? >Yes<"

Installing Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Setup from ISP disk (I think)....

Edited by totianni, 04 December 2005 - 07:09 PM.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Next Question (on computer screen)

Setup could not detect the required version of Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (JVM) on your computer.

If you want to continue with Verizon Online DSL software installation, we must first install Microsoft JVM.

Do you wish to install Microsoft JVM now? >Yes<

Microsoft VM is now being installed on your computer.

....Verizon Online DSL Installation began . . . .

System Results . . . . NIC -> Your computer needs a Network Interface Card

I know I have that . . . . . Can you help me get this setup? I honestly don't remember how we did this now . . . my options are all different here in 98.

Thanks . . .

Edited by totianni, 04 December 2005 - 07:10 PM.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I only have the Dial-up Adapter listed under Network adapters.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
How do I install the NIC in 98 . . . . my options are different than ME and I can't figure out why it wouldn't just find the card on it's own.

Help!?!? Thanks.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Well, I think I found how to install the NIC, but 98 needs the CD for several files, including: networks, protocol, services, snmpapi.dll, etc.

I don't have the CD now, so I'm pretty sure this won't install. Where do I go from here?

Still no NIC listed under Network in Device Manager.

Edited by totianni, 05 December 2005 - 02:26 PM.