Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd and dvd drives not reading any discs

• Please log in to reply

arthurthetree

arthurthetree

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I have recently been having a problem with my dvd and cd drives. My cd drive has not been working for sometime now, it does not read any sort of disc, it has power because i can hear the disc spinning, but clicking on the drive in my computer shows nothing, nor does winamp or the computer recognize there is a cd in.

My dvd drive has not been working since i downloaded alcohol 120%. it created a virtual drive that took the place of the letter assigned to my dvd drive originaly (D:), and moved my dvd drive to (F:). later, after i uninstalled alcohol, the virtual drive was gone and i assigned my dvd drive back to D:. it's not been reading any sort of disc since, i get an "instert disc" error when opening the dvd drive through my computer and winamp shows "scanning" then "no disc" when trying to recognize it.

In device manager, both drives show up.

the properties of my cd-rw drive states:

device type: dvd/cd-rom drives
manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

device status:
this device is working properly

And the properties of my dvd-rom drive:

device type: dvd/cd-rom drives
manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

device status:
this device is working properly

I've tried uninstalling both drives then reinstalling them at start up

if it helps at all, my dvd and cd drives are:

cd: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B
dvd: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B

Thank you very, very much. :tazz:

Advertisements

reddragon114

reddragon114

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
one thing you could try dooing is system restore back to before you had alchohol 120% i did that and it worked so ya :tazz: