Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Dell computer will not shut down

• Please log in to reply

tofu5

tofu5

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I ordered a new Dell computer, with Windows XP, media center edition, version 5.1. It arrived quickly but kept crashing, a technician came out and said I needed a new computer. Months later I still did not have the computer. It finally arrived, in a box marked REFURBISHED. I have not used it much but whenever I do, and try to shut it down, it shuts down, the screen goes black, then it restarts itself. The only way I can shut it off is to wait until the exact second it is off, then turn off the power source to it.
I am fed up with Dell, I can never speak with a live person on their support line except a person from another country who is only looking up the answer to your question in a book, and now I may have a refurbished computer that is a pain to shut off.
What should I do?

Robert

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

What should I do?

Sorry to say, but you should contact Dell and demand they do something about it. Why would you want to keep a computer that obviously isn't working right, and maybe later on will give you worse trouble? Get rid of it now. Call Dell corporate if you have to!

makai

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You need to turn off the auto reboot so that you can pinpoint the error.

Control Panel>System> Advanced>Start up & Recovery> Settings
or
if you have SP2, press F8 at boot and choose "turn off auto restart" from the menu.

Johanna

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Johanna: auto restart was not checked, so could not uncheck it.

Makai: call Dell and speak with someone who speaks fluent English? If only. Perhaps you have a corporate number that is only for the United States. I would love to have that number.

Robert

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
oh tastey one made of soy products....definitly call dell and complain untill you get to the top of the llist...because if i sent them a brand new computer and they sent back one (and didn't have the brains to mark out the label) that said refurbished, i would be pissed. there is no excuse for it and it shouldn't be tollerated...i would call them every hour, on the hour until there was a new machine at my ohouse

Edited by dsenette, 03 August 2005 - 11:10 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you used a credit card to buy that Dell you could dispute the charges. You do not have what you paid for, and if you kept the paperwork, you have proof. If they aren't getting their money, they will be more inclined to be reasonable with you.

Johanna

mickey2u

mickey2u

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I would like to add - I purchased a Dell several years ago and have experienced the same problems along with no support. Currently I have massive virus/spyware issues and if I can not find a fix I will purchase a new PC and you can bet it won't be a Dell. Any suggestions on a better PC with good support?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Mickey2u,
If you have a real XP cd (not a "recovery disk") you can probably cure that Dell with a clean install. Sure is cheaper than a new computer, and faster than manual malware removal.

Johanna

I'm not crazy about tech support in any flavor for OEM machines. I'd rather put together an AMD and do the tech support myself- at least I speak a language I understand. :tazz:

Edited by Czarina, 03 August 2005 - 03:52 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
This just came in an email from a friend. Sadly, tech support by phone is getting a reputation for uselessness. Perhaps that's how the companies keep costs down- in addition to hiring people they can pay less, customers are so discouraged that they don't even try to call.

Mujibar was trying to get into the USA legally through Immigration.  The
Officer said, "Mujibar, you have passed all the tests, except for one. 
Unless you pass it you cannot enter the United States of America.

Mujibar said, "I am ready."

The officer said, "Make a sentence using the words Yellow, Pink and Green."

Mujibar thought for a few minutes and said, "Mister Officer, I am ready."

The Officer said, "Go ahead."

Mujibar said, "The telephone goes green, green, green, and I pink it up, and
say, "Yellow, this is Mujibar.'"

Mujibar now lives in a neighborhood near you and works at a Verizon help
desk.

Yep for sure, I talked to him yesterday.

Johanna

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Change the name Mujibar to Buddy and Verizon to Dell and you have our scenario.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Listen to this. I just spoke with Dell and asked about the "refurbished" sticker on our replacement computer. They said if they replace a Dell computer after 21 days of the receipt of the original computer, it is indeed reurbished.
When I received the new Dell computer, from the beginning it kept crashing. I spent hours and more hours on the telephone with Dell Tech Support that first week trying to remedy the problem. When nothing worked they said they would have a technician come out. He finally came out with a part they hoped would fix the machine, it didn't. The technician said I would get better service if he put in the report that I needed a new computer, not just a part. This 21 day stuff is donkeydust and I am so angry I cannot believe it. I paid for a new computer, through no fault of mine I now have a refurbished one.
I just called Dell again and they want some number that I have no idea what they are talking about. I hope I get this resolved and if I do, I will definitely never purchase Dell again.

Robert