Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not turn off

• Please log in to reply

gbrl77

gbrl77

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello,
I turned off my computer due to a storm in the area and I unplugged everything ....When it was over I went back in to turn it back on ...When I plugged in the Desktop it just started to run and would not turn off ...But everything plug into the same UPS works and is operating fine....Any suggestions....
Thanks
Doug

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In your Control Panel, check to see that your power settings are set the way you want them.

Johanna

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The problem is I cant even get my computer to start....When I uplug it it turns off and as soon as I plug it back in all that happens is the fans start and nothing comes on and you cant even hold in the power button to turn it off.... Im using my old laptop right now to see what the problem is....

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
So, you are saying the comp is getting power (fans turning, etc) but it will not boot? Are you getting anything on your monitor at all? Where does your monitor plug into? Put a lamp in that outlet to test. A UPS usually has a "hot" side, where the battery will keep hardware running for a short time) and a bank of outlets that are not on the battery. Since you have a UPS, why did you unplug your comp? Just curious, that's all.
Johanna

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I usually turn it off during an electrical storm just to be safe ...I have tried to plug it into other oulets and its the same....and the monitor is just black....

Edited by gbrl77, 01 August 2005 - 06:31 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Is there a light on your monitor indicating that it is getting power? Is there a reset switch or an on/off button that could be toggled? Did you unplug the monitor during the storm as well? Do you have a spare monitor you could try for diagnostic purposes?

Johanna

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes there is a light on the monitor indicating power....I tried the reset switch and got no response....Turned off the monitor also and I dont have a spare monitor....I know the monitor works because when the monitor first turns on it says no signal...so i know there is picture....

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
This was my computer's symtoms, the week before last

I too had unplugged it during a lightning storm.

HOWEVER, I did NOT unplug my phone line and my modem was ruined.
(As well as my 'catch a call'.)

I took my computer to the computer shop and they put a new
modem in for 53.00.

Do you think this might have possibly happened to your computer
during the storm? Just a thought. :tazz:

Sincerely, Janie

Edited by fflowergirl, 01 August 2005 - 06:50 PM.

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well I have a cable connection and use a network adapter and not a phone line...but of course anything is possibly.....

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I was wondering could a bad mother board or hard drive be the reason? or something else?

Edited by gbrl77, 01 August 2005 - 07:13 PM.

Advertisements

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Any ideas? Anybody please help?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Okay, monitor says not getting a signal. Trace the cord that plugs the monitor into the back of your comp, unplug it from the computer, reboot, shut down again, plug the monitor back in and let XP "find" it. Fingers crossed, XP just lost track of the hardware (monitor).

Johanna

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Just wondering if you unplug a computer from the wall when you plug it back in shouldn't you have to press the power button to turn it back on...because my turns back on when I replug into the outlet and the fans start up and nothing but the green light for the power is on...The DVD drive dosn't even come on......But the last suggestion didnt work eiher

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
That sounds like a good solution from Johanna.

Let us know if it works!

Um, nevermind...I see it didn't work.

Edited by fflowergirl, 01 August 2005 - 07:33 PM.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
just an outside shot here......if you are getting power then it would seem the switch on the puter is stuck in the on position.....

when you push it it, do you feel any resistance at all? Does it click?
if not, it probably needs to be replaced.....

Back in the day, monitor blanking was generally a problem with the video card....so my next thought would be to ask if you have a AGP or PCI card installed? Or are you running off the motherboard?

G