Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press en

• Please log in to reply

Thats A Nice Pen

Thats A Nice Pen

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey there,

(I am posting this in the Windows forum as well.)

I'm having trouble booting from CD's. I have tried many but for this post I will be
referring to my Windows XP Home (SP1a) CD.

This problem started after I installed and later uninstalled Acronis Disk Director Suite
8.0. After uninstalling Acronis Disk Director Suite I also lost the option to boot both
Windows XP Home and Win XP Pro. I didn't have a problem with this since I was going to
Format XP Home and reinstall anyway but now I can't reinstall...

My CD Drive still works fine for all other intended uses.

Here are the bios setups I've tried and what happens with them.

Bios setup: CD Drive as my First Boot Drive and Hard Drive as my second boot Drive

What happens: When it boots it says "Boot from CD:" then it just boots from my hard drive.
(Which is Windows XP Pro, not Home like the CD.)

Bios setup: CD Drive as my First Boot Drive and only boot drive.

What happens:
"Boot from CD:

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter."

I press enter, and...

"Boot from CD:

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter."

I've looked for information about this with Google but no one talks about CD boot failures
when you know the disk is good. Thanks reading my post and I hope you can help me.

There is an update available for my bios but I don’t think it will help. I'm using version
3.0. The update is Version 4.0.

http://www.chaintech...SNo=4&PISNo=266

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
A couple of things. If you have more then one CD drive in your system make sure you have the disk in the right drive. Make sure the right one is selected to boot first and you select save when you exit the BIOS. Next make sure the bottom of the CD is dust and scratch free. Lastly make sure you are using the correct Windows CD to boot from. Try it in another computer or borrow one to try in yours.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

One thing that wasn't mentioned.. is this an original Windows XP cd or a copy you or someone made for you (different setup and install requirements)??

Murray

Thats A Nice Pen

Thats A Nice Pen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This is the original, but I have tried many disks and they all get the same result.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Check your optical drives jumper setup.

make sure there set to cable select (CB)

also even tho your running 2 sata drives in Raid keep your cd/dvd-rom drives on the 2nd IDE channel not the main or (0)

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

make sure there set to cable select (CB)

also even tho your running 2 sata drives in Raid keep your cd/dvd-rom drives on the 2nd IDE channel not the main or (0)

None of that makes any difference. The Drive will work fine configured as master and on the main IDE channel.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

None of that makes any difference. The Drive will work fine configured as master and on the main IDE channel.

View Post

Cool ;)

Tell that to my Raid setup :tazz:

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
If it does it sounds like a serious BIOS issue and you should contact the Mainboard manufacturer for an update.

Thats A Nice Pen

Thats A Nice Pen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well I feel a little foolish. I forgot all about the 160GB IDE drive I installed just before installing Disk Director... However, loosing acess to one of my XP installs was a result of uninstalling Disk Director. So be carful installing and uninstalling OS Controllers. Thank you for your help. (I remembered my IDE HDD when you mentioned jumpers)

When my cd drive didn't work I had the IDE HDD and CD drive jumpers on cable select. And the cable connected MASTER -> IDE HDD and SLAVE -> CD DRIVE.

I read the IDE HDD jumper settings and the master setting said "MASTER (1 Drive)" so I figured this is a submissive drive and it doesn't want a slave.

Here is the setup that works: CD Drive jumper = Master, IDE HDD jumper = Slave. And the cable connected Master -> CD Drive and Slave -> IDE HDD.

So learn from my mistake and remember; if you are having a computer problem. restart your computer, then check your connections and jumpers.