Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

250GB hard drive but only using 32GB?

• Please log in to reply

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
alright i bought a 250GB hitachi hard drive i had it in my old computer and after messing around the disk it came with and several reformats i am only gettin 32GB even when i had first started i only got like 120GB i didnt know what was goin on so i let it go and i just built my own compy and put the harddrive in there and i still only have 32gb even after another reformat now i dont consider myself computer stupid i did build my own compy but i have no idea what to do. Is there anything i can do to go back and undo what i did and get my all that space back?

Lion

Advertisements

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
i have checked the thing in the control panel under administrative tools ya know to make another partition hopin that there mite be more space but there wasnt so plz help me!!!!!!

Lion

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
couple of thoughts.... your bios might not support a hard drive of that size. Your Os might not support a hard drive of that size.... if you messed with the jumpers on the drive the drive may have a 32GB hard drive limiter....

Things you could try:

Possible a ultra ATA controller card that supports drives of that size and your os. The manufacturer of the drive may have drive software to fool the computer into seeing the whole drive.

If you could give more details maybe I or another could help you further....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like the jumper has been set to clip the drive check the jumper. Update your bios although since it is a newer socket type it should have support for a 250gb drive and make sure you have sp2 installed.

Edited by warriorscot, 02 August 2005 - 03:02 PM.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
ok after i check the jumper and update my bios will i have to reformat to see if it worked?

thanx!

Lion

Edited by heartofalion28, 02 August 2005 - 08:28 PM.

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
no, you shouldn't have to reformat. i'm not sure but i think in disk management it will come up as unallocated space, then u can simply create another partition

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
tried both of those and neither of them worked any other suggestions?
(i updated my bios and the jumpers where in the right spots)

Lion

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

tried both of those and neither of them worked any other suggestions?
(i updated my bios and the jumpers where in the right spots)

Lion

View Post

see my above post

gilsmethod

gilsmethod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
quick thing if you formatted your drive as FAT32, you're gonna be limited to 32GB in xp, I would suggest formatting to NTFS and that will resolve that issue...good luck! let me know if that works!

Edited by gilsmethod, 04 August 2005 - 10:17 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

quick thing if you formatted your drive as FAT32, you're gonna be limited to 32GB in xp, I would suggest formatting to NTFS and that will resolve that issue...good luck! let me know if that works!

View Post

only if you used xp to format it. but 98*admin won't see a drive that size anyways so good point.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
no its nfts the software hitachi provided on their web was crap and like when i first got it it partioned a 32 gb but i had a another partition that was 93gb but then i did an accidental reformat with the disk that came with the HD (dont ask i was trying to find the rest of the space on the hard drive) and ever since then i have only gotten 32GB

Lion