Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

My system32 is missing!

• Please log in to reply

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*
I have read alot of topics about this and I tried the things they said to try but they're not working, I know you can access it through the address bar and all, but I want to know how to make it appear back in the Windows folder. Thanks in advance for any help.

BillyBobJunior

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Open Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View

tick "show hidden files" and untick "hide protected Windows files"

Johanna

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Open Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View

tick "show hidden files" and untick "hide protected Windows files"

Johanna

View Post

Forgot to add that I tried all that crap before. :tazz:

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*
Bumb

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow
You will be prompted for your XP cd

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

HTH,
Johanna

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow
You will be prompted for your XP cd

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

HTH,
Johanna

View Post

It helped my computer, but it didn't retrieve the system32.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Maybe you could explain what it is you need System 32 for?

Johanna

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Maybe you could explain what it is you need System 32 for? 

Johanna

View Post

For the computer to function? I know it works and is there, but I like it to be there instead of opening the addy bar and crap....

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Could you explain how you "lost" it? I am a bit confused. It is there, or it isn't? Your Windows Explorer is set to show hidden files, and your computer works? Then it has to be there, and it should show, right? I can't think of too many times I needed to access that folder- any particular reason you do? Have you done a search? Do you have full admin rights on the computer?

Johanna

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
There is a flavor of malware that "hides" system32. If you suspect that is the problem, let us know, please.
Johanna

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Could you explain how you "lost" it?  I am a bit confused.  It is there, or it isn't?  Your Windows Explorer is set to show hidden files, and your computer works?  Then it has to be there, and it should show, right?  I can't think of too many times I needed to access that folder- any particular reason you do?  Have you done a search?  Do you have full admin rights on the computer?

Johanna

View Post

After I downloaded a shareware program, then I got rid of the program. It is there, but doesn't appear in the "Windows" folder. Yes it is. Yes it is. It is, I would think so but it isn't. Sometimes I need to put some files in "System32" and its just annoying having to go to the address bar. Yes I have done a search and the folder "System32" does not appear. And finally, yes I do have full admin rights. :tazz:

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*
*bump*

jetlyn

jetlyn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am also experiencing exactly thesame problem. Thought it might be somekind of a virus because you know viruses sometimes configure a lot in your computer so I googled about missing system32. Up to now i still dont know what causes this annoyance.