Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

asking for office 2000 disk on boot up

• Please log in to reply

videoartman

videoartman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
upon boot up computer asks for office 2000 disks to find missing files...when i put in the requested disk computer prompts that file cant be found on disk. I can cancel the request at any point and the computer will boot properly. (Its an annoyance more than anything)...sometimes when i am opening an e-mail with artwork (ie a letter head type message) the same prompt for the office 2000 will appear. Again i can cancel it and the e-mail will open.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Have you tried using the Office cd and running the repair option to fix any missing or corrupted files??

Murray

videoartman

videoartman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes...it didnt work. Interestingly I had the computer checked out at a reputable comp service store and they were able to eliminate the problem using the disk. When I hooked up the computer (with a printer and scanner) the problem came back baffeling the techs. I think something in the printer or scanner settings causes the problem...only thing is now when I disconnect those items it still happens. I suppose i could disconnect and try using the disk to fix and then hook up one at a time...hmm I guess i could try that.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Well, doing it that way would help determining where the problem rests..

Also, does it say what files are missing??

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 02 August 2005 - 03:31 PM.

videoartman

videoartman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes...next time the error occurs i will post the text.

Webb

Webb

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't use Office 2000 but I use Office 2003. I can think of 2 possible fixes.

When I installed Office I noticed that it put a program/shortcut into my startup folder, kind of a preloader which supposedly helped Office load faster. I didn't think I needed it there so I deleted it with no ill effects. If that program is in your startup folder it may be causing Office to look for the missing files.

Second, Office may just be looking in the wrong folder for the files and you need to steer it to the right place. The message should tell you exactly which file it's looking for (and it may be looking for more than one) but it's looking in the wrong folder. Just find out where that file is and steer the installer there. This could easily happen if you installed Office from drive D and your cd is now in drive E. It will keep looking for the files on drive D all day.

The drop down menu should let you navigate through the various folders until you find the right one.

videoartman

videoartman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Got rid of the shortcut/program file in the start up...seems to have worked...thanks Geeks! :tazz:

Webb

Webb

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I should have mentioned, first I moved the shortcut to a temporary location until I was sure I didn't need it, and second, your office installation is missing something or you wouldn't have gotten the message in the first place. At some point in the future you may find yourself in the middle of an office application looking at the same message.