Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CDROM Won't load Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

macca

macca

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Everyone,
My first post here and I am looking for a miracle ;)
I just had a power failure in my building and a desktop computer crashed. At bootup it gave the usual warnings with the choices to boot to last known cofig, safe mode etc. However every single option brought us to the blue screen of death :tazz: The error stated is as follows:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down....
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME...
Technical Information:
STOP 0x000000ED (0x8179D608, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I understand that the 0xC0000032 means that I should get into the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the boot volume. This is the manner in which I am proceeding unless someone else has a better way?

The problem is though that I load the WinXP CD (original XP Pro) in the drive and change the bios to only boot from the CDROM and then reboot. THe drive spins up and the screen says, "Searching for boot record from CDROM....OK" and then it hangs...nothing.

So I changed the IDE cables around and tried every config, hdd on IDE0 and CDROM as slave then CDROM as IDE1 master.

Every way I try it gives the same error. My last hope is to buy some floppies and create 6 x boot disks...but I was hoping for another way.

Anyone got any ideas?

Macca

Advertisements

macca

macca

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, update....got a copy of Ultimate Boot CD for Windows to load....woot, woot!!!

Um, now what do I do...lol

Gotta repair that boot volume...any ideas?

macca

macca

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ulimate Boot CD rocks.....currently using chckdsk/r that was included in it and now it is repairing and doing its thing. Will post update soon. Thanks for everyones help here...been tremendous, great to see so many experts so keen to share their knowledge...NOT!!! lol

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi macca...Welcome to G2G!

I noticed that from the time of your first post to the last was 47 minutes...we are all here to volunteer our time to help others...and...there are many others. We check posts as quickly as we can and often juggle several problems at once. That said, did running chkdsk /r fix your problem or do you still require assistance?

wannabe1

macca

macca

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
wannabe1,
Patience is not one of my greater assetts shall we say. My computer is now repaired and problem free. The solution was using Ultimate Boot CD and launching chkdsk/r from within that shell. I hav since repaired another PC the same way that has been laying idle for over a year. Kudos to UBCD!!!