Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can XP SP2 be used for hosting?

• Please log in to reply

MooCow888

MooCow888

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Does anyone know if I can use XP with SP2 on one of my old machines to host my own website? I believe that I need to have Server 2000, but just want to know if XP SP2 can do it. If I can how do I set this up?

Thanks Ken

Advertisements

MooCow888

MooCow888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just bumping this back up to see if someone knows the answer. I have been looking in the help and support section of XP, but can't find the answer.

Thanks Ken

fleming

fleming

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
What type of Server?

If its windows XP HOME, No

If it's Windows XP PRO then yes...kinda

You first need to install IIS 6 , which is located on the cd, and can be installed by going to Add/Remove Programs.
Click on Add/Remove Windows Components
put a check mark in IIS

Once it's installed, then you have to do some more configuring to get it to do what you want.

NOTE: IIS is more or less for Web stuff... but I think you can use it for FTP capabilities.

go herehere for more on installing it and stuff.

If you want to have a domain - then your going to need Windows Server 2003, which installs a domain controller.
If you are looking to set up a server where people can download from you, I think the only way is using FTP , but I could be wrong..... hence the reason they have Server 2003 me thinks :tazz:

Hope this helps a bit.

remintellegere

remintellegere

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
You can host websites on any version of XP. Provided you don't want IIS. Use Apache. It works on my old comp that had XP home on it. Just get apache on your computer, then whatever else you want(ASP.Net only works with IIS by the way)

pgarcia418

pgarcia418

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If you have XP home you can't use IIS. You could use Apache. If you have XP Pro, you could use IIS but there are some limitations. For example, only 10 simultanious connections are allowed. I wrote an ebook that shows you step by step how to host your site from home on a Windows machine using either IIS, Apache or PWS. It also shows you how to do this even if you have a statc IP address. The link to the site is below:

7 Easy Steps to Hosting your Website at Home

Rockett

Rockett

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Glad you joined our little group Pgarcia. You seem knowledgable :tazz:

Rockett