Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Imaging and restoring NTFS drive

• Please log in to reply

j123jam

j123jam

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I recently aquired a Toshiba Satellite M45-S3551 laptop, and I want to repartition the hard drive. I hate paying for software, so I plan to use the installer for Mandriva Linux to do the partitioning for me. Has anybody done this with an NTFS drive? I will make a main Windows drive (NTFS), a storage drive (FAT32), and a Linux drive (ext3?).
The more important question is how I can backup and restore the entire drive as it is now should any problem arise. I have realized that I probably want to create an image of the drive, and have the ability to restore it later. But the drive is 100GB, and I am hoping to fit the image on a CD (or possibly DVD). The drive currently contains 9GB of data ([bleep], where did all that stuff come from?). So, I only want to image the part of the drive with data on it. Can anybody suggest how to go about doing this? And how do I restore the backup image to my HDD? The only freeware i found to do this is DrvImagerXP, but that will make a 100GB image. Suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks guys!
-JAM

Advertisements