Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with computer

• Please log in to reply

helpme101

helpme101

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i am trying to get my old computer to work, and since i am not very good at working computers i need some help. It is a hp with windows 98 that is all i no about it right now. when i boot it up all i get is the program manager, and when i try to close that it shutsdown my computer. im sorry i dont have anymore information on the topic, but i am looking for it. plz if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi helpme101...Welcome to G2G!

Let's see if we can get this machine fired up so we can do a little troubleshooting.

Do you have a Windows 98 Start Up disk (floppy) or have access to another machine running Win98 on which you can make one? If "no" to both, you can get one here...

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm (Win98SE...follow the instructions on the page to create your startup disk)

Put the floppy in the machine you wish to boot while powered down and turn it on. When prompted, choose the option to "Start Windows with CD ROM Support" and press Enter. At the "A" prompt, type D: and press Enter...at the "D" prompt, type scandisk an press enter. At the end of the scan you will be given the option to perform a surface scan...press enter. Whan scanning is complete, remove the floppy, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to reboot. Please post back with the results of this procedure.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 August 2005 - 07:19 PM.

helpme101

helpme101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i didn't have the disk for it so i made one from the website. i did everythig like u told me but the scandisk didn't even seemed like it did anyhting, because right when i typed scandisk and enter it said it was finished with it. also when i did the surface scan it didn't take anytime either. is it supposed to do that? but i rebooted and i could still not get the desktop to come up the same thing came up. thank you for the help so far and sorry im not much help to u.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi helpme101...

The scan disk should have taken a little longer than that...

Do you have the Windows 98 Install cd or do have access to one?

wannabe1

helpme101

helpme101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i am looking for one, i should have one somewhere but not sure what i have done with it, is there any other way beside the disk or do i need the disk?

helpme101

helpme101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i cant figure out hwat i have done with the windows 98 cd but i have the computers recovery disks, but everytime i try to recover it freezes up. i alos have access to a windows me computer does that help??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi helpme101...

It would be very helpful to have the Win 98 cd to get your Windows running again so we can figure out what happened to make it fail.

Let's try this: Remove the Start up disk from the floppy drive. Start your computer in Safe Mode...turn your computer on, press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu appears. (For some machines, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu), Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

If your computer will start in safe mode, click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scan Disk. Make sure there is a tick in the box to Automatically Fix Errors and click Start. When Scan Disk completes, restart your computer. Let me know if you are able to do this procedure.

wannabe1

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If it has program manager it must be Windows 3.1.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hey Tyger...great to see that there are still others about who remember Win3.1 :tazz:

Actually, Program Manager and File Manager are both still present in Win95 and Win98.

To run program manager, click start > run, then type "progman". To run file manager, click start > run, then type "winfile".

helpme101...Tyger's comment must have jarred some dust off my memory...try this: In Safe Mode: Right click on the task bar (not on a button) and choose properties...Click on the Start Menu Programs tab...Click the Remove button...Scroll down to Startup...if there is a + by Startup, click it to expand the list...if Program Manager (or progman.exe) is in the list, select it and click "Remove". Restart

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 03 August 2005 - 09:36 PM.

helpme101

helpme101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
even when i am in safe mode all that pops up isprogram manager, im doing a scandisk a different way im not sure if its gonna work but it is scanning. what i did was in program manager i open the floppy with it and used scandisk from that ill tell u if it works. thanks for the help

helpme101

helpme101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i finally got it fixed. everything is like it was. thank you for all the help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi helpme101...

I'm glad to hear your problem was resolved!! :tazz:

Would you mind sharing the final solution with us? It may come in very handy to others that view these forums...

wannabe1

helpme101

helpme101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
im not really sure what i did i was just screwing around, and somehow i was going through the bootdisk and i saw format. i did that and it erased everything from my computer then i ran the system restore disk and it was fixed. thanks for the help and sorry for the late reply

dude56

dude56

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need help with my computer i lost the system Product Key and i was wondering if semeone can help. :tazz:

In our Terms of Use please find this piece of text:
• The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

Metallica

Edited by Metallica, 15 August 2005 - 12:16 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
dude - first...do not post in someone else's topic....start your own...second..due to the fact that we don't know if you actually own the computer that you're trying to get the product key for or not...we can't really help you.