Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address not coming from router?

• Please log in to reply

Thommes

Thommes

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My network was running fine until earlier today. One of the systems lost it's connection to the internet. I can't access the computer on the network either. I've looked at the connection and tried to reestablish. The connection is listed as excellent, but there's no IP address listed. I had windows firewall off but I will recheck that as I see it listed as a thing to check.

The other computer on the network, also a wireless card, is running hence I'm able to post. I've tried reconfiguring the wireless card with the 128 bit encrypted key. No luck. ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew didn't work. Rebooting the system didn't work. Sort of at a loss.

One other thing, when the network was operational and I mean the other computer was connecting, it would take about 30 seconds to be able to access another computer. Is this normal?

Thanks
Thomas

Edited by Thommes, 02 August 2005 - 08:24 PM.

Advertisements

Thommes

Thommes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I checked. Windows firewall is off. I rechecked the IP address. It is getting an ip address a long long time after connecting. However, it doesn't look like its getting an IP address from the router. It looks like it's getting it from the modem. The ip address on the 'bad' computer starts with 169.254 and the 'good' computer is 192.168.1.100 which is what the first IP address that the router is set up to assign. Now I'm even more confused. :tazz:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
169 ip means no connectivity from ethernet device to router.try disableing the device then renabling it and wait for to automatically find the correct 192.... address.

If that doesnt work make sure your drivers for thye wireless card...is located under start - mycomputer (right click) - properties - hardware tab - device manager - network adapters

If that doesnt work you might try a new wireless card.....

Thommes

Thommes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried disabling and renabling the wireless card. That didn't result in getting an IP address from the router. I tried reinstalling the driver which didn't work either. I didn't make a change to the card or software at all. It was working in the morning and then not in the evening.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
what does the signal strength say

Thommes

Thommes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The strength signal is higher than I've ever seen it - Excelllent. I normally only get Good.

Thommes

Thommes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
A new card resolved my problem.