Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 Beeps - Help!

• Please log in to reply

jjm006

jjm006

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello -

I offered to fix a coworker's son's PC, and thought that it was a simply spyware/adware job. Unfortunately, there seems to be more hardware problems.

When I first got the PC, I tried MSCONFIG with a limited startup, and found the PC freezing (literally, everything just freezes - no blue screen or restart). I tried a few basic software utilities (Everest, etc.) without success. The freezing seemed independent of any action taken on the PC.

I tried to swap out the harddrive with a known working hd, and was surprised - I started the PC, and got 3 longish beeps. I have googled this, and it suggested memory problems. Does anyone know more about this? I replaced the original hd without success.

How would you troubleshoot this?

Thanks much -

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
"one long two short?" What are the exact audio beeps?

jjm006

jjm006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Three long - they are probably about one second long each. If you leave it on, after the first three, it pauses for like 5 seconds, then does 3 more, and so on indefinitely.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Is it an IBM? If not what brand is it or do you know the model mainboard? Also double check the audio codes. Turn it off and from a cold boot, write down all audio codes (long or short) from a cold boot and any pauses. Three repetitions should be enough. Long are about a second or so, short are less then half a second. A repetition is a combination of codes followed by a pause.

I suspect it might be 3 - 3 - 4 or something like that.

Edited by GeneralAres, 03 August 2005 - 06:20 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you do suspect its the memory try : http://www.memtest86.com/
test one stick at a time

jjm006

jjm006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am pretty certain it is 3 long. Tonight I am going to pop it open and check the motherboard, and I will repost.

I can't run a memtest, unfortunately, since the PC won't load at all.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try the ram in a different slot, also if possible try another known working stick of ram

Rick