Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is my processor runnin to hot

• Please log in to reply

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
my processor type is in my sig but is it runnin to hot and i was wondering if i got the arctic silver thermal paste would that make a difference? oh yea the heatsink and fan arent stock i have one that i bought on there.

Lion

Advertisements

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
No it is not running hot, microsoft say that it can handle a couple more degrees actually, but obviously the colder it runs the better performance you will get.

cheers woody

Edited by woody1977, 02 August 2005 - 10:43 PM.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
From what I can find at full load it should not exceed 67.7 degrees. You can improve air circulation by keeping the PC off of the carpet, the back of the PC should be unobstructed, keep it out of direct sunlight, away from heaters and by cooling the room air down with air conditioning. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If we all did what microsoft said all the computers in the world would have ceased to function years ago. Ideally you want load to be under 60 anyhting above 60 while tolerable is not normal or advisable. Arctic would make a difference also what kind of hsf is it.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
its a MASSCOOL 8W501B1M3G 90mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink and i will haveta look into buyin the arctic silver

Lion

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I agree with warriorscot, you need to keep the temps under 60c when at full load.
With that said you also have to understand that sensors on most mobo's can be inaccurate and alot of the time they read high. I see you have a Abit board, Abit boards at least with Amd based systems are notorious for reading high temps.

If when the cpu is at full load such as when running prime95 the computer is stable and I mean completely stable, no lockups or reboots or bsod's then I would not worry about the temps.

If however you have problems when running at full load then you need to take measures to get that cpu temp down.

Rick

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
My temps run about 42c idle, 57c loaded (playing FarCry)... Prescott 478 with stock HFC, Artic Silver5.

Get some Artic, it will pull your temps down a bit.

makai

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I have a friend with the same cpu and his is also a heat monster he got a xp-120 to keep his temps managable even then he is lucky to get under 50 with normal use. Mind you it is rarely at full blast a 120mm fan at full whack is a noisy thing indeed.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
do u guys know if any retail stores sell arctic silver or am i gunna haveta special order it from some where?

Lion

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Depends where you live. Here in California, Frys, PC Club sells Arctic Silver 5.

On-line, Newegg.com sells it.

makai

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
The processor is designed to operate within its operating temperatures for the expected lifetime of the CPU. When it reaches it's maximum thermal operating limit it will throttle down to a slower speed, preventing thermal damage. To see if yours is throttling simple use: Throttle Watch. Consistent throttling is not a good sign and you need to improve your cooling.

FYI stock "boxed" coolers are specifically designed to operate the CPU within its operating temperatures so long as basic thermal considerations have been taken and ambient room temperature is not excessively hot.

Edited by GeneralAres, 05 August 2005 - 01:47 AM.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
ok my hsf never revs up its always sittin around 2500 rpm why? by the way its a MASSCOOL 8W501B1M3G 90mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Lion

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
According to Masscool the rated speed of your hsf is 2400 rpm + or - 10%

This means that the high end would be 2640 rpm so at 2500 rpm it is reving up somewhat.

You may want to send them a email and ask.

Rick