Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive unreadable

• Please log in to reply

lugnut200237

lugnut200237

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a 200 GB WD. A few days ago, Windows reports that it is unreadable. It is a dynamic disk, recognized by BIOS, and if I unplug it and plug it back in while the computer is off, when I reboot the computer, the "Hardware Wizard" pops up saying it found "WD2000etc" but it is not listed in My Computer. Luckily, I have a Knoppix disk that a Linux Apostle recommended I have when the going gets rough and Knoppix will recognize it. I can only copy some stuff off of it to a FAT32 drive. Why not NTFS? Most of it is corrupt.

Why won't Windows report it as readable?

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
What Operating System?
Does the drive already have a Partition and is it formatted?
If so what file system (NTFS, FAT32) and what size is the Partition?

lugnut200237

lugnut200237

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have WINXP SP1. It is one partition of 200 GB. It is NTFS and it has had data on it for about a year(around 180 GB).

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Is it Windows XP Home or Pro?

lugnut200237

lugnut200237

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is PRO.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Removed -- spam!

lugnut200237

lugnut200237

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I will try that tonight.

lugnut200237

lugnut200237

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I ran WD's Diagnostic tool and it passed it on a quick test and an extended test. It said the test was successful. It recognized the drive as a physical drive but not as a logical drive. I emailed WD tech support and they told me to reformat. Yea, and lose all my data.... Good reply WD tech support!!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well sometimes that happens, thats why since the beginning of computers you have always been told to back up your data. There is very little you can do otherwise if you have anoter HD you can boot from you may try some data recovery software but success is not guaranteed and the software isnt cheap either.

dooge

dooge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Suggest first backup important data, and use dynamic disk converter 3.0 to fix the problem.