Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secure PC

• Please log in to reply

codecraig

codecraig

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I am curious about how to secure my PC. Basically I would like to do the following..

1) lock my cd drive so it can be opened manually from the outside

2) secure USB slots or at least be able to monitor if/when something was plugged into a USB slot.

3) lock desktop down

suggestions?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
1) what do you mean about locking the cd drive?

2) not sure about this one

3) locking the desktop: do you mean having a password? or preventing changes? if you want to have the password...make sure your user account has a password...when you go to get up press Ctrl + l this will lock the desktop..you can also set a password on your screen saver

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
1) lock cd drive...meaning, someone cant walk up and eject the cd drive.

2) if i step away from my pc, i would like to prevent a USB device (such as USB key, mouse, etc) to be able to be plugged into my pc and work. OR at least be able to monitor the USB slots so that I can know if someone tried to plug something in.

3) forget this one.

thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have yet to see a way of locking a cd drive without breaking it.....i guess technically you could attatch a piece of metal to the top of the case that you could lock down that would hang over the cd drive and cause it to not open fully....but this would probably screw with the motor and the springs in there.....i think most of this can be solved by passwording your computer and locking the desktop...after all no one else can use the machine while you're sitting in front of it...and if you lock the desktop no one can use it while you're not

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
well i've been told that someone could insert a cd and have it autorun a program while i am gone from my pc while the desktop is locked....is that true? same for USB?

thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it would have to be a pretty specific program....where is this computer and who do you live with that you're this worried?