Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP Access Problem

• Please log in to reply

ckeener

ckeener

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I am having trouble going to any ftp sites. The error that I get is :

FTP Folder Error
Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.
Details:
The FTP Session was terminated

I have tried to access several different sites that allow anonymous access (eg ftp.microsoft.com) as well as others that require a username/password.

I have tried several different methods of access the sites such as using Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Free Download Manager.

I checked the LAN Settings to make sure that the proxy was correct for FTP, checked the Internet Properties->Advanced settings to make sure the Folder View was enabled. I can access the Internet.

the system that I am running is a Windows 2000 Dell, 1.8Ghz Processor, 512MB Ram on a Windows Domain.

All other systems onthe domain can connect to the ftp sites.

I ran a tracert -d Domainname as well as a tracert -d IP Address and the trace timed out on the first hop.

Are there any other things I can try to be able to connect to ftp sites?

Thanks

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi ckeener and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I checked the LAN Settings to make sure that the proxy was correct for FTP

Can you explain this a little further? Are you indeed behind a proxy on your network? Have you tried with a standalone FTP client set for passive mode?

ttysoon, SD

ckeener

ckeener

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply SoccerDad,

I am indeed behind a proxy, and I did try it with an FTP Client set for Passive Mode (SmartFTP) and it seems to immediately respond that it cannot connect.

As far as the LAN Settings go, I went to Control Panel->Internet Options->Connections->Lan Settings->Advanced(under Proxy Server) and established that the proxy was set to same address and port number that is set on the other computers that are able to connect to the FTP sites.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hey ckeener!

No probs, glad to help out. Alrighty, kewl...is there any access control on the proxy server that may be denying your machine access to it? When you tried standalone client, did you also configure the proxy settings in it?

ttysoon, SD