Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD RW installation problem

• Please log in to reply

a1future

a1future

• Pip
  • 6 posts
A Generic DVD R is the drive I use for reading DVD, however it is not capable of writing DVD.

In this sense, I went to the nearest retailer and bought Emprex DVD RW 16x Double Layer. My problem is: i couldn't get both drives working at the same time. It would be better to have two DVD drives, one for reading and one for writing.

When i plugged the new DVD RW, i used the same IDE channel connected to my old DVD R. Could this be the problem? I don't think so, because when i removed the old DVD drive and placed the newer one in the same place, it worked. But I want to get both drives working at the same time!!

When i plug both drives, i don't see the drive letter no more. I mean no E:\ is available anymore....any suggestions? I've mumbled enough

Advertisements

ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
have you checked the jumpers on the back of the drives? does BIOS recognize both of them?

a1future

a1future

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes! one to master and one to slave...!!?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try it pluged into another ide channel.

a1future

a1future

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That is what i have just done!! You guys are so fast and very willing to help...thanks.

But the problem is still on :tazz:

Is it technecally possible to have a DVD R and a DVD RW running at the same time on the same PC?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Of course, so you tried it slaved to your HDD yes. So if you have the dvd rw as the master and the dvd r as the slave you can see them in bios but not windows?

Two things i can think of you need to make sure you have sp2 and you might try a bios update. Find out the motherboard and the bios used go to the manufacturers site and see if you have the most up to date bios version. You might not have all the info use cpu z to find out, just google and download its a small file you just run it and it will detect your hardware and such.

gilsmethod

gilsmethod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
if those suggestions don't work, try changing out your IDE cable...I've had similar issues with HD's and simply changing out the ide cable solved the problem....good luck!

a1future

a1future

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So it is a bios thing!

Do you think it is the appropriate time to change my mobo? I think so because it is an old one, as old as my lil bro.

What is the best mobo around? Regardless of price, because i'm thinking also of buying Geforce 7800GTX 256MB, so what mobo would be best compatible?

BTW, i don't have sp2 windows, if that is what you mean.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well sp2 would be the starting point its fairly essential. The one i use is among the best of the nf4 ultras non sli and reasonably cheap well under a 100 pounds anyway. I wouldnt get a 7800 until the new ati cards are out A. because the ati cards are supposed to be better and B. it will trigger a price drop in the rather extortianate 7800.

So i take it you cant see the other drive in bios under any configuration.

a1future

a1future

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
How much is a 100 pound in Dirhams?!!

I live in UAE, so i have no idea of this cuurency and how to convert it!!

Anyway, from the context, i can see it is nothing much...

But still, i didn't get a clear answer of the best specification of a mobo and a graphic card...

Hardware world is moving at a fast pace, and so should we.

Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lol well i dont know what it is in dirhams, but judging from what i looked into on other electronics the uae is pretty expensive for electronics( my brother wanted an ipod cheap and my dad goes to the UAE on business a fair bit).
Well non sli i have one of the best you can get, and graphics card i have the best mid ti high end card you can get, nvidia prices are very high at the moment they seem to think just because they cost more that will make people think they are better and people will buy more.
For a gfx card 256mb GDDR3, 256bit memory interface and 16 pixel pipelines are the general top end specs.

a1future

a1future

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmmm...i thought, like many others for sure, that nvidia is a pioneer in that field as it provides quality products, from my own personal perspective.

The specs you mentioned above are pretty cool, but as i told you (I don't know if i'm making myself clear enough or is my english that bad cause i'm arabic!!) I'm not considering price at all cause the video card i'm planning to get will be a gift from my filthy rich uncle, who made an offer to get whatever hardware piece i want!! And of course cause i'm a negative person, i have to make most advantage of such offer <<He is a pig!

One last question my friend, and i hope that i'm not bothering you with my many questions, Would you recommend buying ATI video card along with an Intel mobo? Is ATI compatible with Intel?

Excuse my "noobness"!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah they are compatible it is to do with the gfx slot type you have, AGP or PCI-E you should check which you have: you can use a peice of software called cpu z, look under mainbord> graphical interface you need PCI-E for a 7800,
Many people think that about nvidia but its actually the other way around ati are the pioneers with new technology and give the best value for money, nvidia spend more on marketing, if you have to get something now i would get a 7800, if you can wait i would see what ati comes out with in the next couple of months.