Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where to build a computer

• Please log in to reply

pomp

pomp

the man

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Hey guys. I'm just waiting on my cpu! It's in transit with UPS lol. I have all the other parts though, I'm happy, haha. I was wondering where's the best place to like build it.

Obviously , I don't wanna build it directly on the rug. My friend is going to build it for me. I haven't gotten into building computers myself, but I'm going to watch him. I hope to do this in the future! :tazz:.

I have this table, it's flat, foldable, long, it's like a wood finish. I was going to put it in one of my rooms where there's a rug down. It's ok to put the table on the rug and build the computer on the table? Is static electricity a big issue in this case lol? Is it going to like travel up the table? I know I'll just ground myself and he'll ground himself before touching the parts. Like touch the plastic part of a TV or something to ground ourselfs?

If someone could answer my questions, that'd be great! Thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont touch anything plastic you touch the metal insides of the caseor better yet use a antistatic wristband they are cheap as chips. You will probably be able to get one free if you know someone who works in electronics. Ideally no where near a rug i built mine on my dining room table wooden floor wooden table to prevent static build up alos take of your socks.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
hmm.. kk, I'll take that into consideration. Well, I don't really know anyone that works in electronics.. we'll just make sure we ground ourselves.. lol and I don't really have any non-rug floors.. just the ketchen and the hallway and I dunno if the table will fit there lol..

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
You will be fine :tazz:

I have tore my PC apart many,many atime on my carpet floor without a problem ;)

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
kk, thank you.. I'll put the table in my family room where there's a rug and it's nice a quiet haha. I can't wait till I get this beast built! lol.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Also.. the HDD I bought for the new computer is SATA.. the DVDBurner I bought is IDE.. and since the IDE cable that came with the motherboard can plug into 2 devices then the motherboard... the HDD I have in this computer right now is IDE.. and I want to hook it up temporarily to the new computer to transfer some files over and what not. You think the cable will be long enough and stuff for the HDD to be outside the case? And is it ok to keep the HDD on top of the computer case for a bit while I'm using it? Thanks...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i wouldnt keep it on top, but you can keep it on the old pc and just connect across thats what i did when i couldnt get the lan to work. Just remeber to keep touching the inside of the case static is a [bleep] when it happens a brief tingle a and your vid card is dead as a dodo.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
What I decided to do, which is what I think you might have said, and with the advice from Blair... is since I have a router and cat5 cable.. (and with an extra one to hook up the new computer to the router).. which my friend will bring with him.. I'll just hook the new computer up to the network and share the files from my old computer on the network and just copy them onto my new computer!! Seems like a plan haha..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Seems simple.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
on a table...thats wut some computer expert told me. dont do it on the ground.