Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

single SATA drive not found in BIOS

• Please log in to reply

plapello

plapello

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello, First time posting... I have a problem that I need help with. First off I have this:
MS-6728PE 865PE2 motherboard
P4 3.0
1gb
WD 250gb SATA
300w power
etc.
I have installed a ton of systems (with IDE hdd). But I am new to SATA. I figured you can plug it in and it would be recognized like in the past but after reading all these posts it is not true. I have double checked everything and it is all correct. When I first turned it on I end up at a screen that says please insert boot disk. So I entered my Windows XP Pro disk and of course I get an error saying I don't have a hard drive. So I resarted and went into the BIOS and checked everything and in the standard config are it show no Master or Slave Primary IDE drive... only Master and Slave Secondary IDE which is my DVD drive and DVDRW drive. I thought that was strange so I checked again and all is plugged in and I ready that I need to go to Integrated devices and change the IDE part from PATA only to PATA + SATA and change to Native Mode (which it won't let me).... so I press F10 to save and it reboots to a black screen. I wait 15 min and still there so I reset the jumper for the BIOS so it'll reboot. I even made a F6 boot disk for the operation system install and I do the F6 and I press S and put the floppy in and after 5 sec. it still says I have no hard drive. Tonight I am going to swap the SATA cable and see what happens. I hear the hard drive spin and it sounds fine. What else could be wrong?????? This Ilch5 (or whatever it is) is buggin' the crap out of me. I mean, first thing I need to know is after the 1st boot shouldn't the hard drive be listed under the Primary IDE in the BIOS?
thanks

Advertisements

ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I assume you have onboard SATA? if so, find the floppy disk that came with your motherboard, put it in the floppy and then try installing windows again, i just installed windows on a SATA drive today, and i forgot the disk the first time, thats all you need to do...
right now im trying to remember how i installed windows on a SATA drive on my own computer, since i dont use a floppy, i forget what i did! hehe, well anyways, find that floppy disk thats says somthing about SATA drivers on it.
-the ditchmagnet

plapello

plapello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
got the disk and used it and no worky... I think my problem has something with the BIOS and whether I set it up as PATA only or SATA only or PATA + SATA... anyone? help :tazz:

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Is Sata (enabled) in the bios (onboard peripherals)

it make be called different with your motherboard.

No it shouldnt be noticed on your IDE channel

plapello

plapello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no. sata is not enabled. When I press f10 to save changes the screen goes black and nothing happens

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
unplug the computer and unplug the sata cable..

plug the PC back (dont plug in the SATA) and power up the PC

go into bios and try to enable the SATA without the drive connected to it...reboot (F10)

plapello

plapello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it was a good idea. I have everything unplugged except of course proc., 512mb, and a video card. that's all. I go into BIOS and I can only change from Legacy PATA only. If I change to SATA only or PATA + SATA or PATA only with SATA logging enable. Anything .... all those when I press F10 to save and reboot go to a black screen and nothing happens. Not good. Could this be a defective motherboard? :tazz:

plapello

plapello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
oops. on;y from Legacy PATA to Native PATA. only thing that works... change anything with SATA and black screen and nothing works.

plapello

plapello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well.... want the wonderfull anser to my issue? The motherboard was defective. I swapped it with an exact same motherboard.. and it works. Go figure !? Sucks that all my stress was cause by a brand new board that was no good.
thanks.