Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Build

• Please log in to reply

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
http://www.ixbt.com/...-13-d.shtml#p17

This pages shows just how closely matched these two cards are both stock and oc'd, it seems like the performance difference between the two is almost negligable...ill just have to make a decision

As for that powersupply, i am not to knowledgable with electrical things so im dont know what 12v rails are and and 20 amps, if it is a better psu will it be as easy to hook up?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Seems a fairly big difference to me in favour of the x850 and that was un overclocked if you open the pipes on it then its faster than a 6800ultra.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I searched online and it seems as if ATi has made it impossible to unlock the 4 extra pipes by cutting a bridge...with that said i think im going to go with the X800XL, i just have to decide whether to go with the ATi or the Sapphire with the Zalman cooler, do you think space would be an issue?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not really you should be ok fro space you might lose a pci slot, but as far as i know you can use a bios flash to enable the other 4 pipelines.

Edited by warriorscot, 09 August 2005 - 11:32 AM.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I actually decided to get the Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case, as i have read a number of reviews and had some worries about installing on such a small case for my first build on the Lanboy...1 question though, are case speakers included with a case or motherboard or do i need to buy separately, if at all. I hope i dont have to listen to those BIOS beeps, but you never know....

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Usually with the case.

The Tt Dream is a great case and you will find it roomy enough to make installation relatively easy. It does not have a case speaker. Personally, I think case speakers are a relatively effective diagnostic tool.

Good thing about the Dream is that, apart from being a good looking case, it has very effective cooling. The 2 x 120mm fans push a lot of air through the case and if you purchased the windowed case, the 90mm side fan is quite effective. Noise level is also low.

Good buy.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah good case to pick, the lanboy is small, not overly so but still small.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Do you think i could snag a computer speaker off of a different old case, or would that not work...and can i have an SATA HDD drive with an IDE HDD slave? Ive heard you can do it, but then i heard its difficult to do?

Edited by BenB864, 11 August 2005 - 05:47 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah a speaker is a speaker, you can have both it works fine with new boards.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have read some other posts by warriorscot and you seem to like the spinpoint series HDD, and that they are faster than raptors...would this be the drive you are talking about for 80$ for a 160GB?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152015

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No, they have just brought out a new version that is that fast, i looked for it on newegg but i couldnt find it http://www.komplett....=307913&cks=SPK this is it, but it a uk shop so but you can get the model number from it. For hard dirve wise the technology is always advancing from what i have read this seems to be the fastest at this precise moment, the samsung drives though have been very good for a while now though.