Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Repair Problem

• Please log in to reply

redpotato9

redpotato9

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi all,

My computer decided not to load windows xp one day. So, I've read a lot of issues and I decided to repair using the windows xp cd. At the welcome to set up screen, I chose ENTER. Then I hit F8, to agree. When I get to the next screen, there is no option for me to repair. It has options to create a partition or delete a partition. So, I can't repair it!

Then I decided to go into the windows xp recovery console by pressing R. When I get there, I get:
Microsoft Windows XP™ Recovery Console
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.
C:\>

Thats all that is there. There is no option to choose 1. for windows xp professional.

Can anyone tell me how I could fix windows xp so I don't loss all my data on my drive.? I can't figure it out.

Thanks all for your help.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you read this...
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

makai

redpotato9

redpotato9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did see that, the problem is that I don't have the option to repair when it gets to that screen. It doesn't list an operating system to repair. When I boot the computer it goes to the screen to pick safe mode, last known good config, etc. I tried all of those. It goes to the black windows xp screen like it is going to load up then it starts over and goes to the hp screen and then to the pick safe mode screen. So I can't get into windows at all.

I have a
Notebook
HP Pavillion 5100
Intel Pentium 3 850mhz
20 Gig hard drive

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you can't even get to the repair screen or recovery console, I hope you have another system you can slave this disk to.

Do you have another computer you can hook this drive into as a "slave"? This is so you can retrieve your data and store it on the host computer until you get your issue resolved. It may come down to a full format/reinstall of XP as the options look bleak.

makai

redpotato9

redpotato9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't think I have another system to "slave to". How would I do that if I needed to?

I just remembered what I did the other day. I believe that when it first started acting up, it came to a screen that said c:/windows/system32/ then some file name was corrupt or missing and it would not start windows. So I put the windows CD in and when into the recovery console. And I for some reason tried C:/>fixboot. Then when I booted it up it went to the safe mode screen and then windows xp screen before starting over again. Is there anyway I can redo what I did with the fixboot command or anything to get back to the screen where it said my file was corrupt or missing, then maybe I could use the repair tool?

Thanks for your help!!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
So if you put your xp cd in, can you get to the recovery console or not? I'm confused now.

If you can, boot to the recovery console and at the prompt, type in...
chkdsk /r ... hit enter and let it run... when it's done, type in...
chkdsk /p ... hit enter

You may want to try to restart your computer right here.

If it still doesn't restart, then get into recovery console and type in...
fixboot c: ... NOTE... according to MS, this may ask you to repartition your harddrive, which could cause data loss. I'll leave this up to you whether to go this far.

Tell you what... do the first two steps and see what happens, then post the results before you do the third.

makai

redpotato9

redpotato9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi makai, first all thanks for your help.

Yes I can get into the recovery console. The only problem is that when I first go in there it does not list an operating system to choose. It just says C:\>.

I will try the first two steps you suggested, when I get home tonight. I really want to get in there somehow and save some data, before I would reformat if I needed to.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok...

Also, download Bartpe builder from Here. You may need it later.

I really want to get in there somehow and save some data, before I would reformat if I needed to.

No worries, we'll do whatever it takes to get you back up and running.

makai

redpotato9

redpotato9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I ran chkdsk /r and it got to 26%completed then it said the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

I ran chkdsk /p and it got to 100%completed and then it said the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

I then restarted and it went to the safe mode choices screen. I chose last known good configuration. It finally started then it shut down on me. Now, I have the message the following file \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. I still can't do a repair, as windows xp is not listed. What do you think I should do?

Thanks!

redpotato9

redpotato9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I finally got into windows and am backing it up before i reformat. Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What happened?

How did you get into windows? Did it just all of a sudden boot up?

makai

redpotato9

redpotato9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah, it just all of a sudden booted up and then i backed up the stuff i needed, soon, i am going to do a fresh install of windows xp. thanks.

redpotato9

redpotato9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am not trying to reinstall windows, a fresh copy. I have chose to format the drive and it stops at 20% when setup is formatting.....

Any reason this would happen and how can I get it to format it all so I can start over and install a fresh copy of windows???

Thanks!!!

redpotato9

redpotato9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I formatted using NTSF (as the choice), should I try a different choice?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What kind of hard drive do you have? How large?

The reason I'm asking is because what "I" would do if I were you, (and this is highly recommended), is to low level format the drive before installing XP. You will need the manufactures hard disk utility to do this and you can probably get a copy on line. The manufacture's website should have an iso image you can download and burn to CD which would then boot your computer so you can wipe it, partition it, and format it to a like-new condition. This is the best thing you can do before installing an OS.

Why XP is halting at 20%, I really have no idea. But if you wipe the drive, you can be assured you won't have this problem later during installation. And since you partitioned/formatted using the manufactures utility, you wouldn't have to let XP format it during the install.

makai

Edited by makai, 09 August 2005 - 05:26 PM.