Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless connection speed

• Please log in to reply

rjw0501

rjw0501

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi-
Searched threads need help.

I notice when online, through my wireless connection, that the speed seems tochange alot. When I hit the icon on the bottom right of the computer sometimes it says "Speed 24.0 Mbps, or Speed 54.0 Mbps, it seems to fluxuate alot. I notice when it says a speed other than 54.0 Mbps things load slower from web pages. Regardless of what the speed says, the Signal Strength always says" Excellent " and the status always says " " Connected."

Any help would be appreciated!

The router is a Linksys wirless G 2.4Ghz 54Mbps broadband router
The computer is a Sony s460 lap with the built in w/lan.

Thanks-Bob

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi rjw0501!

The "speed numbers" are a bit of a misnomer and marketing ploy as your effective throughput (the speed of the data arriving thru your machine's NIC) will be less than the advertised. The 54Meg stuff is the speed of the data transmitting thru the air, but once the extra stuff is stripped from each packet as it arrives at your machine, the speed is slower.

Do you have your router or any of your wireless cards near cordless fones or microwave oven? One thing to check in your router and on your cards: can you set the speed manually. Everytime that speed goes up and down, you will take a performance hit.

ttysoon, SD