Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only 1 512mb RAM module recognized

• Please log in to reply

Deb78

Deb78

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an Athalon 64 3000+ running on an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe motherboard with a GEForce 5700 ultra 128mb video card. I started out with one stick of 512mb DDR 400 Corsair RAM. I decided to upgrade with another identical stick of RAM, but both the bios and windows only show 512mb. Both sticks work fine alone and both passed 2 different memory tests. I have also started getting freezes when I play games that require alot of memory. It will freeze for a few seconds and make a clicking noise before it starts running again.

So far I have tried the following:

4 different sticks of RAM in different combinations and in all 3 DIMM slots

3 different motherboards ( 2 EPOX motherboards and now this one)

Tried a new CPU

Tried another power supply

Tried clocking memory at a lower speed in bios

I have checked the corsair website and the RAM I bought is supposed to be compatible with my motherboard

What else can I do to get my RAM to work?

Edited by Deb78, 04 August 2005 - 06:59 AM.

Advertisements

Deb78

Deb78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I ran a virus scan with Norton and it came up clean. Also defragged my HD (not that I thought it would help, but I am trying everything). I have run out of things to try now!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If the bios doesn't recognize the ram, neither will windows... I know you know that! :tazz:

You say you tried the ram in 3 different motherboards including this one? Was the ram count ok on those other motherboards?

Your mb manual doesn't specify anything special except use the blue slot first. I assume they mean you have to have at least one ram module in this slot.

Did you try setting bios to default settings? How about bios upgrade, do you have the latest bios?

makai

Edited by makai, 05 August 2005 - 05:29 AM.

Deb78

Deb78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Forgot to mention that the first thing I did was upgrade the BIOS, however, I decided to try it again this morning just becaus, and lo and behold! It recognizes my RAM now! Maybe I just didn't use the right BIOS file last time, not sure. Just happy it is working now, thank you!