Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook question

• Please log in to reply

dfb500

dfb500

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Morning all, I just configured my Outlook application for a Microsoft Exchange service so I can access my Corporate email from home when logged into my Corporate Network through VPN. Everything seems to work but I noticed that all my Inbox mail prior to the re-configuration is now stored in a *.pst file on my PC. New mail appears in the Inbox as appropriate. I thought with Exchange the mail remained on the remote server so why can I not see my old Inbox mail when I sign into Outlook? All my other mail (SENT, DELETED, etc.) is in the proper folders as well as tasks, contacts etc. Not a big issue but annoying nonetheless.

David

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I think this may be your answer: http://office.micros...1507931033.aspx

dfb500

dfb500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hello, the link explains the way I agree it should be but somehow the emails that existed in my Inbox prior to my configuring the Exchange service are now in a *.pst file and not on the Exchange server. I know this because even if I access my email through the Internet the old Inbox emails are not displayed. I guess the question is how do I return the emails in the *.pst file to the Exchange server?

D

Gregec

Gregec

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
i can't help you, but mozilla thunderbird is much better.

If you won't to download it visit www.mozilla.org

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Dfb500

When you were setting up you Outlook account for the company's Exchange server on your laptop, do you remember a step that asked you to archive the older items. Outlook will automatically take items older that 30 days and put them into the Archive pst file located on your C: drive. This is why you are seeing you emails in you laptop in the folders and not in the inbox. :D

For you to get your email back onto the companies server, hope there is not too many, from the laptop, try to move all the mail back to your inbox by dragging and dropping, or you will have to click on each one and forward the email to your companies addy which will put it back into your inbox. :D

PST stands for Personal folders and has nothing to do with your inbox, in a way, it will move the messages from the inbox and put them into the folder that you create. The inbox just stays on the Exchange server. This is set up so that you can control the size of your inbox and be able to read some email when you are not connected. <_<