Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Re-formatting

• Please log in to reply

Some_call_me_Mike

Some_call_me_Mike

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to re-format my Dell and "It" won't allow me to because disk utilities or programs are using the drive. I need help closing something? I've closed every program that I could or know how to. Please help me. Thank You in advance, and if your advise works you can expect to get another.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
"TIM THE ENCHANTER:
I... am an enchanter.
ARTHUR:
By what name are you known?
TIM:
There are some who call me... 'Tim'? "
Posted Image

how are you trying to format this dell? from inside of windows? if you're wanting to format and reinstall you should either use your system recovery cd to restore to factory condition...or you should boot from your xp cd and format from there

Edited by dsenette, 04 August 2005 - 12:40 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Yep. Set the comp to boot from the cd in BIOS, reboot with the cd in the drive and install XP from the cd directly. You cannot install XP from inside Windows.

Johanna