Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd rom & keyboard lost after bios

• Please log in to reply

EKnitnpurl

EKnitnpurl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just got a Gateway 2000 (used) running win 98. 233 Mhz / 4 MG / nothing special.

On bios start up the CD rom is registering along with keyboard and mouse.

Once windows opens - the keyboard lights begin to blink and the keyboard is dead.
Keyboard is a PS2. Have a USB port but haven't tried using it yet to resolve this problem.

Mouse is PS also but will only work on serial port.

The CD rom is not being recognized upon Win start up either.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may be able to go into system information and see if there are any device conflicts. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information.

I'm working on a machine now which has some keyboard/mouse identification problems. If I find anything more I'll let you know.

EKnitnpurl

EKnitnpurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did make one mistake....my OS is Win 95. Sorry.

I have checked device manager and have found no conflicts with either the cd rom, keyboard or mouse. Very perplexing. :tazz:

I feel as though this is a OS problem and not a conflict problem. Can't understand why I can see the load on the BIOS for these items but then they don't work once Windows open.

I want to upgrade to Win 98 but cannot get the cd rom to work inorder to load.

I can get into the setup via F1 key at Bios start but the former owner has it password protected so cannot move once I am there.

Any other suggestions? I appreciate the help.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Remove the battery to reset the bios password. Leave it out about 30 seconds at least.

makai

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you're going to convert to win98 anyway just make a 98 or 98se boot floppy, or download it from www.allbootdisks.com or www.bootdisk.com and use it to load the drivers for the cd-rom. It's a lot easier than trying to get a machine that probably isn't friendly to 95 to work. If you only have an upgrade disk you won't need it for anything more than accessing th cd-rom, but if you have a new install disk you can use it to make a new partition, remove the old one, and format the drive too.