Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with IBM Thinkpad 760el

• Please log in to reply

benthekurlyest

benthekurlyest

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, I recently purchased an old IBM Thinkpad 760el from a garage sale and they claimed it worked. When I brought it home, it booted up just fine and then died promptly. I plugged it in for several hours but nothing seems to help. The battery is dead and it won't charge. Is there anything I can do to fix or verify that this is the problem other than buy a 100 dollar battery for a laptop I bought for 20.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I take it the old IBM Thinkpad 760el did not power up at all when you plugged it in to charge the battery? This is probably why they unloaded it for $20.00 at the garage sale. BBW. You could try rigging up a dc power supply matching the battery output (assuming you have knowledge and materials to do it) or buy the $100.00 battery and maybe find it still won't work. Then you will be out $120 instead of $20. No easy fix for this one!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could always take it apart and flog the parts you would probably get your twenty bucks back.

claus

claus

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Ok,  I recently purchased an old IBM Thinkpad 760el from a garage sale and they claimed it worked.  When I brought it home, it booted up just fine and then died promptly.  I plugged it in for several hours but nothing seems to help.  The battery is dead and it won't charge.  Is there anything I can do to fix or verify that this is the problem other than buy a 100 dollar battery for a laptop I bought for 20.

View Post

benthekurlyest,

the IBM TP 760 EL was sold until early 1998. Equipped with an LiIon battery (28H8924) as main power supply, a NiCd battery soldered to the mainboard and a Li-cell to save the bios options and the clock.

If the Li-cell is week you have to enter the bios options every time you boot up your TP. If the NiCd battery is flat you'll get problems when using the power save mode. Your TP should work without the main battery. You can pull it out. But be careful this battery often seems sticking on.

Good luck from Germany!

Claus

Edited by claus, 18 August 2005 - 01:57 PM.