Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Ebay laptop....bad idea [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
I get an error that says

"SVChost.exe" has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log has been created"

That's it...

here's the thing you wanted

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 24EC-F608

Directory of C:\WINNT\system32

07/14/2003 07:00a 45,328 SPOOLSV.EXE
07/21/2005 08:57a 401,408 ??oolsv.exe
2 File(s) 446,736 bytes

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\abc\Desktop

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Go to Start->Run and type in services.msc and hit OK. Then look for TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) and double click on it. Click on the Stop button and under Startup type, choose Disabled.
*note - this is your firewall we are diabling. This might be causign that error. regardless if you get the error or not when u reboot, renable it. Just let me know if you get the error.

I don't think you can delete this file in normal mode but you can give it a go. if not boot into safe mode.

Make sure your hidden files are unhid.

If you use Windows XP, Go to My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled. Also make sure that the System Files and Folders are showing/visible also.

You have two SPOOLSV.EXE files in your system32 folder. YOu want to delete the one that was created on 07/21/2005 and is 401,408 in size. Right click on the file and go to properties and verify this information. ENSURE that you have the right one.

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
Ok....still can't find the second spoolsv.exe...I used the search and it found two, but they were the same size, made the same day, and one was in a .dll helper folder or something like that...

I still get the error when rebooting, and when I disabled my firewall. I was able to change it to "disabled" but the Stop button was whited out and I couldn't click it.....

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
start > control panel > administrative tools > component services click the + next to Event Viewer, then under System, there will be a red circle with an x at the time you received the error, double-click it, highlight what's in the window
then ctrl + c to copy it. Then post it here.

I got to get some sleep. the computer is almost all cleaned. I will be back on in a few hours.

:tazz:

Excal

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
Ok Ill do that, get all the sleep you need!

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
There are A LOT of errors it showed, here they are

The Removable Storage service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
The Infrared Monitor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
The Infrared Monitor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
The COM+ Event System service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
The Automatic Updates service hung on starting.
The System Event Notification service failed to start due to the following error:
The pipe has been ended.
The Event log service was started.

(x5) multiply that in that order by about 4 or 5

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
It looks like there maybe be system files missing.

I need you to get your Windows XP cd and do the following:

The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.

Click Start
Select Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

Typing this will start the program, and a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take.

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens please make sure that you can view protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.
Then rerun the scan. If this still asks you to put in your windows XP CD, and you do not have the CD (If you bought it preinstalled) post back for more tips, otherwise enter Windows CD.

Once the scan is complete:

Check your Windows Updates! After using the File Protection Service, you might need to reapply some updates.

Please reboot, and let me know if anything has changed.

Also, please rehide the protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Check" Hide protected operating system files.

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
heh....umm....well....about the XP CD....

no idea where it is! Looked everywhere... :tazz:

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
See if you can borrow one.

Excal

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
OK I'll do that, my friend's dad is coming home next weekend and I'll see if I can use his...Thanks a lot for all your help!

Advertisements

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
EDIT: I meant windows 2000....that what the laptop is..

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
LOl, i meant Windows 2k....guess i didn't get enough sleep last nite...lol

Excal

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
lol, no it's fine. I got like 4 hours of sleep, went to bed at about 6:30 AM...Thanks so much again for everything!!!!

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
OK, just let me know.

Thanks,

Excal

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.