Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless conncetion "bouncing"

• Please log in to reply

Jon Up North

Jon Up North

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My room-mate has XP service pack II. We have a linksys router attached to a broadband cabel connection. Both of us are using linksys PC cards. Router does not boradcast an ssid and is password encrypted using WEP.

My room-mates connection is unstable. He will have an "excellent" signal for 5 seconds, then no signal for 5 seconds back and forth. I hae a happy stable connection. We've computed from the same room, I'm fine, his signal is up and down in periodic fashion. We've even sat next to the router and had the same results.

We disabled f-secure on his system and there was no change. I installed the PC cards on each of our notebooks the exact same way.

One thing of note. I run XP pro, he runs XP home.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Jon

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Swap the cards that should tell you if his card is a duffer.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just discovered something on my wireless i had a mild case of bouncing connection every our or so occasionaly it would go then come back, i was using a WEP code i switched to WPA and now it doesnt bounce and i get a stronger signal.