Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

freezing & restart lead to new component needs

• Please log in to reply

Dorjan

Dorjan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, so my computer has been randomly restarting, freezing, and all around falling to pieces. It's been doing it all summer, and as such, it's hard enough to even stay on the internet. I believe it to be an incompatability with my motherboard and my video card, because I never had any problems until I went in search of one. However, my motherboard IS quite old, and a little odd as well, and I don't believe it is made for gaming.

My intent is to replace my motherboard, processor, and my RAM(because I'm running off of a motherboard that is not compatable with DDR RAM). However, because I'm so new to it all, I desperately need second, third, and fourth opinions on what I should buy. Keep in mind, my budget is $250 per part, so nothing extra-ordinary, but preferably something good.

I was thinking of getting a DFI LANPARTY board and an AMD Athelon processor. However, if this is a bad call, I'd really like some help in different parts.

---

Oh, and right now this is what I have:
Video card: ATI Radeon 9250 128MB 64bit
MOBO: ECS K7SEM Mainboard(256mb RAM and sound card integrated)
Processor: AMD Duron
Hard Drive: 80 Gig 7200 rpm
Total Ram: 512 MB

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103535 <<CPU

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820220006 <<< RAM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813136152 <<< motherboard

Your going to need a new video card with that motherboard because you have a AGP card.

Maybe a good 6600GT or X800GT if and when they come out...either should b in the 160 dollar range

Edited by OneCool, 05 August 2005 - 01:11 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if i were you i would go with something with the same cpu and memory as mine but with the dfi board as you seem to like it and it is a good a board as any. You will probably need a new PSU something from antec, themaltake or ultra to name a few of the reputable companies but just make sure you dont get a cheap generic psu as its not worth the hassle. I would reccomend a x800xl or a 6800GT if you can afford it.
But you are basically looking for a new system only the case will be salvagable. A gaming system wont run on a 9250 either.

Dorjan

Dorjan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Fantastic! That is JUST what I needed, OneCool! I appreciate it much more than you know. I'll post how it works once it all arives and is set up!

Thanks again
-Dorjan

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You are going to need a new power supply because its unlikely you have one big enough in your current system.

Dorjan

Dorjan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What do you mean by power suply?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You know that warm box in the back of your pc that you connect it to the wall socket with and all the parts in the pc are wired too. That power supply you will want at least a 400W PSU, its unlikely for you to have any more than 250W on your current one if that.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Dont let it bring you down :tazz:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817148012

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its a really horrible and easy way to fry your brand new system if you get a bad psu.