Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware And Bman

• Please log in to reply

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi Sam,

I am not sure what happened there. New one on me.

Go here: http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

and scroll down to line 164, download the .vbs script and follow intructions.

Please get back to me with results,

Trevuren

Advertisements

INeedHelpBad

INeedHelpBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer is so disfunctional now, I try to listen to music, or upload documents I need for school and it won't allow me. Do you think you could copy me the instructions, because I can't download the .vbs script.

INeedHelpBad

INeedHelpBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
"This application has failed to start because the application config. is incorrect. Reinstall the application to fix problems"

This is what occurs when I try to turn on any program other than AOL

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I will send you the text via PM.

You will find it in a quote box. Just copy the content to Notepad and save the text as XP_taskbar_desktop.vbs and type of file "All files".

Once it is saved to your Desktop, click on the file and follow the instructions.

Trevuren

Edited by Trevuren, 16 August 2005 - 05:48 PM.

INeedHelpBad

INeedHelpBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can't open Notepad or any program. I'm wondering how AOL is working. I'm sorry for the inconvience but could you just send me the steps, I tried to read through the code that was on the the quote box, but I didn't understand it

My computer is just disfunctional, I think because I followed the instructions to remove the restore info. Nothing is working correctly currently. Should we just hire a profession to come to my house. I can't believe all this is over removing pop ups.

Thanks

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
No, I can't just give you the code. There aren't steps to follow. By the way, this isn't just about a few popups, you had every infection in the book on that machine.

Before you throw in the towel, try the following, (This would be much easier if you had a start button):

1. Click on My Computer>>Local Disk C>>Windows>>System32

2. Click on cmd.exe and a black box appears

3. Type cd.. followed by the ENTER key as many times as needed until your cursor just reads C:\>

3. At the command prompt type sfc /scannow, making sure to put a space between the "c" and the slash, and then press Enter. This will run the System File Checker.

3. Follow the prompts, and insert your Windows installation CD if requested.

4. Then please REBOOT your computer.

Trevuren

INeedHelpBad

INeedHelpBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did all of the instructions, it never asked for the CD. By the way, I have a start menu, but none of the buttons function. I can hit the Microsoft button to get the start menu up. All of my applications are disfunctional, and all of the folder icons are gone on the my computer lists.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
This is going to be a very long process but it is better than reformatting.

Go to the following site and follow the directions. You will probably have to use the method outlined in the NOTE. You have to be able to download ZIP files first.

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

Regards,

Trevuren

INeedHelpBad

INeedHelpBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can't open the .reg files
I can't open anything anymore that is saved on my computer

Thanks for your help, and sorry I'm just getting easily frustrated

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Can you open any text editor?

Some icons do work since you are able to connect to this site. Is there anything else that works?

Trevuren

Advertisements

INeedHelpBad

INeedHelpBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can open any program, but I can't open saved documents, music, etc.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
When you click on a saved text document to open it, and it doesn't work, what message do you get?

Trevuren

INeedHelpBad

INeedHelpBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
"This application has failed to start because the application config. is incorrect. Reinstall the application to fix problems"

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I am going to refer you to the tech section in the Windows Forum. They may be able to resolve this issue a lot faster than I can

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
This user had a heavily infected system that we managed to clean up and everything was working perfectly. We then proceeded with normal cleanup procedures. (Cleanup and Disable/Enable System Restore) and he has been having great difficulty opening "saved documents" ever since.

I have tried a few methods to re-establish file associations without success.

Time for the pros to have a go.

Thanks,

Trevuren