Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smitfraud-c on Windows 2000 PC

• Please log in to reply

Jasryan

Jasryan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My PC seems to have been taken over by Smitfraud-C. If I click on Start Programs the whole desk top screen turns white & egg-timer remains permanently on screen. When I start in Safe Mode I am unable to connect to the internet. (I am writing this post on my lap-top)

Background:
I use Sophos as anti-virus but I now suspect that it is out of date depite it being shown as active.
I regularly use ad-ware.
The presence of Smitfraud was detected by Spybot.
I use Sysgate as a firewall.
I have read a recent post showing how to remove Smitfraud from an XP machine. Would I be able to down-load the suggested programs to this lap-top, save them on CD & then transfer them to my PC in Safe Mode?
I am sorry if this information is not comprehensive but I am not terribly technical. I would be very grateful for any advice you could offer me, :tazz:
I have used Add/Remove programs to remove every program that I do not recognise.
Jim Ryan

Edited by Jasryan, 06 August 2005 - 04:35 PM.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Jasryan

Jasryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you Coachwife6 for picking up my request for help. Unfortunately, I am unable to follow up just yet. I will do so as soon as I can. Thank you again. :tazz:
Jim Ryan

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
CW, sorry to jump in..

Jasryan, please keep your follow up posts in one thread since it is related to your original problem. :tazz:
I just merged your new topic to this one.. Use Add Reply.

Don't mind me.. Just continue.