Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Startup Stall

• Please log in to reply

PaganImage

PaganImage

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Whenever I try to start, it stalls at the Windows ME startup page. I started it in safe mode and got an error that said"
"Windows cannot read from Drive C:. If this is a network drive, make sure the network is working. If it is a local drive, check the disk." I am given the chance to cancel, abort, or retry. Canelling and retrying brings back the error message, and aborting simply bring up the timeglass icon as if it is loading, but nothing ever loads.

Before this happened, the only thing I did was put winzip from winzip.com on the computer. Then, I turned it off, turned it back on and the error above was what occured.

I then thought perhaps I should reformat. So, using disk two of the system restoration tool to restore the computer, I attempted. It began smoothly at the Setup page, but now I am getting an error that says:
"Not ready reading drive A."
Then it gives the option to Abort, Retry, Fail. No matter which one I choose, I get a prompt that says C:\CABS>. I have no idea what that is for or what to do.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I think they're giving you good advice to check the disk. Can you put "scandisk", w/o the quotes, in and run it. It will go through a quick scan first and give you the option for a thorough. Take it and let us know what happens.

PaganImage

PaganImage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Where am I supposed to enter "scandisk?" I can't load Windows, and I don't know how to bring up a prompt before Windows tries to load and stalls to make scandisk run.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Where am I supposed to enter "scandisk?" I can't load Windows, and I don't know how to bring up a prompt before Windows tries to load and stalls to make scandisk run.

My bad!!! You're on winME and don't have the option to go into ms-dos mode. You can use a win98 floppy, such as the one from www.allbootdisks.com and when the A:> prompt comes up type in

C:\windows\command\scandisk

and hit Enter. Windows may not be the name of the actual windows directory!