Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Probs

• Please log in to reply

Black_Ice

Black_Ice

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK guys ill give you the whole run down step by step of what happened.

1. I Bought all the stuff at the end of this post Here

2. I put it all together and it worked great, I decided to overclock it and it turned out 2,520MHz Pross, 252MHz FSB, 212MHz Ram at 2 2 2 5 1 timings, 417MHz core 1,154MHz Memory on the Graphics card. It was Very Stable. It got 5851 GFX and 5780 CPU on 3Dmark 2005.

3. I decided I wanted to update the BIOS to see if i could get more voltage for the memory (its very high voltage RAM 3.3-3.4v) I Installed MSI live Update 3 it told me to restart the computer. It shutdown and Started to boot. When it got to the screen where the windows XP flag should be (Black Screen Flag in the middle you know the one) there was no flag it was a black screen and nothing happened. It was stuck there wouldn't go into safe mode (wouldnt gave me the option even when I hit F8) It wouldnt do anything so i reset the BIOS to defualt. Nothing. I figure worse case and do a clean install of windows.

4. So windows is up and running again with a nice clean install. So i load the Nvida drivers for the Mobo. NP. I do the one touch setup for the Marvell Lan and ALC850 Audio. It gets done and tells me it needs to restart. so i let it. I hear the Turn Off Music. Its really choppy i figure its becuase the drivers where just installed and it would be fine on boot up. Wrong it boots up the sound is still choppy and the mouse is choppy. I figure its the sound drivers. I disable them. Didnt work. I disable the whole card in BIOS. Nothing. I figure i got a virus in the short time the internet was on virus scanner. so i do another fresh install. everything is working great again. I do one touch setup. Choppy sound and mouse. Oh ya cpu usage was upto like 60%. So i figure if its not the sound and its not a virus then its the marvell lan driver. I disable it and Viola Computer runs fine again.

5. So I'm alittle weirded out by the Lan driver thing but i let it go i dont use that one anyway. i go back to installing all the drivers and such. I install MSI Live 3 again and it works this time. i get BIOS v1.5. I think hurray. Wrong. Now the problem i am having is one i cant overclock past 225FSB, and two if i over clock at all it reads the 10X multiplier as 5X and makes my 2010MHz Pross into a 1005MHz.

Right now I am running Optimized Defualts. FSB 200, 5xHTT 10Xmultiplier 2010MHz Pross.

My Question is do these BIOS Just suck? Or the first time i tried to install MSI Live Update did my motherboard somehow fry in the Reboot Prosscess?

This is really depressing me i can't jsut go out and buy a new MoBo. i spent all my extra cash on the whole PC. So I am stuck with fixing it. anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hey cant see any specs but i guess you have a system similar to mine excepet you have better ram from the looks of it. Well i updated my bios to the latest using live update but it used win flash and i didnt have to reboot my pc in the first place so that seems odd to me. But i can still overclock i have used clockgen and had it up to 2.5ghz with a FSB at 250ish as you had. Try dropping back down to the earlier bios. A question did you install the bios while the PC was overclocked.
Have you cleared the CMOS.

Edited by warriorscot, 06 August 2005 - 05:34 AM.

Black_Ice

Black_Ice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok My System Specs are:

OCZ 520watt PSU
AMD 3200+ Venice
OCZ Gold Series 1gb (2x512)
BFG Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
Hitachi Deskstar 80gb Sata2
LG DVD R/RW
3.5 Floppy
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

To answer your other questions. No I did not flash with it overclocked. I Installed MSI Live Update and it asked me to reboot. When I did I never saw windows again. I put the BIOS on Fail Safe Defualts and reinstalled windows. And no I have not Cleared CMOS.

Black_Ice

Black_Ice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok. Update time.

I Cleared CMOS. Nothing happened Marvell gigabit lan still cuases everything to go all choppy. Still cant overclock in BIOS.

Now, I said in BIOS becuase. I thought "Hey I'll try Clockgen for the [bleep] of it." Well it worked. My system will overclock to 252+ FSB with Clockgen (After I Turned the HTT multiplier to 4, the Ram Divider to 166 and upped the ram Voltage through BIOS.) Anyway now it works like it used too. Except the Marvell Lan is still screwed up. Oh and I did not flash the BIOS again. I am still running v1.5.

Does any of this sound weird to anyone else? I've never had these kinds of strange happenings with any computer I've ever used.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Go into your bios and "disable" the Marvel lan.

What kind of cooling are you running on your CPU?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm yeah clockgenis good like that, by the way were you able to get clockgen to reapply the settings the next time you booted up i was never able to get it to do it, probably should have read more of the readme file but meh im a a bit crazy. My marvell lan is ok and your bios flash experience was different from mine so you would probably be entitled to a new board if you hadnt overclocked it.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
You guys are brave...I would never flash my bios in Windows ;)

Im a floppy person :tazz:

Edited by OneCool, 06 August 2005 - 06:08 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Was easy as pie using win flash didnt even need to reboot and if the mobo supports it properly as far as i know its just as safe as using a floppy. And easier to reverse so it would actually be safer to do it in windows.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

didnt even need to reboot

You flashed the Bios on your motherboard in [Windows] and you didnt reboot....???

There is just NO way in [bleep] im touching that :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nope didnt need to win flash just did it, displayed a message flash succesful. And i havent had any problems with it .

Black_Ice

Black_Ice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The Marvell Lan is Disabled now, and everything seems to be ok. Thanks everyone for your input. If i have any other strange Problems I'll be sure to post them.