Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

older computer as server?

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hopefully a quick one - ok two - - (a) can I use my old Compaq 5150, Win98 on my DSL to host my website of images and (b) have it firewalled so that people who view my website will not be able to get into other computers linked to the same DSL?

I just want to know if I can do the above. Then I'll know what to do when I replace the computer! When I get to that time THEN I'll ask the how to! (unless it's all spelled out somewhere then I'll copy it now)

bamakodaker

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Questions, questions and more questions.

Does your DSL ISP allow you to run a server?

Do you have a fixed IP?

What kind of server software do you have?

What are the machine specs?

Have you signed up with a domain name service?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Questions, questions and more questions.
Does your DSL ISP allow you to run a server?
Do you have a fixed IP?
What kind of server software do you have?
What are the machine specs?
Have you signed up with a domain name service?

Ah, greatful for the questions!
Now, I could get a fixed IP, whether my ISP will allow a server? I'll need to check on that.
Machine specs - ahhh, HD is incommunicato right now. Windows 98 on a Compaq 5150 made about 1999. Do I remember 233 or 133 speed? 120 GB HD, if I get the new one installed.
I haven't signed up for a domain name.
I do not have any server software.

This is for a future (less than one year) project. I'll take suggestions for server, and any other needed, software.

This is something I thought I'd read before. I just thought I'd set up my website and run it on my old computer rather than pay someone to host my site. Now, if my idea is really not the best idea I'd love to hear it!

Bamakodaker

TheShadow_FL

TheShadow_FL

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
WOW, what an agressive idea!

I thought about doing it myself, but there were just too many pitfalls.
Most ISP's like DSL providers, will limit your bandwidth or internet access time.
To be online 24x7 with unlimited download Mb's, may wind up costing you more than you think. Just check it out before you commit yourself.

I have a really great dialup ISP. They give me ten mailboxes and a free, 1.5meg webspace. I use that webspace to share important tune-up info with people worldwide and that saves me much time trying to send things via E-Mail. :)

I'm glad that they host my website, because I sure wouldn't want to have to leave my computer on 24x7 just to host my own site. Just the sound of all those cooling fans (9) running all night would keep me awake. :tazz: ;)

A home computer was never designed for this kind of duty cycle. It was designed for an intermittent duty cycle (about 20%) and built with the cheapest components available. (Remember, it's called a "consumer" product)

I'd let someone who can afford several thousand dollars for a Server, do your hosting for you.
Just a thought.

God Bless,
Shadow :(

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey,

Appreciate the input! Here is some info I was looking for! :tazz: I figured with my
"looking from the inside out" (what to do with old computer), I might miss the "looking outside to in" thoughts. You've been there so I appreciate the thoughts.

I haven't even gotten to the effort of looking/comparing costs between doing it myself and letting someone else host it. You have good points!

God bless,
bamakodaker

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Also to keep in mind: most residential DSL is asymmetrical in nature; that is, upload and download speeds are different with the download being faster and uploads being considerably slower. When running a server with folks connecting from the outside world this will fall into the upload category so you won't have as much bandwidth available. Additionally, having lots of folks viewing your website will impact your surfing etc and DNS queries will also need to squeeze into the upload stream.

There are truckloads of hosting services out there that are really cheap, and if you are only considering a simple site with pics and stuff, then I would consider going that route.

Hope this helps!
cya, SD

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Ahhh LOVE the technical information here! I don't want a yes or no answer - I want to know teh WHY!

Thanks!
bamakodaker

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something you might want to consider is an image hosting site. There are many excellent image hosts, you can find them by Googling.